Fork question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork question

I'm rebuilding the forks on my 81 GS1100 E that has the adjustment knob on the bottom of them. The numbers are missing on one side. Which way do you turm them to get to number 1, clockwise? Is it the same for both sides? Also, I put some progressive springs in them and there were some metal washers that came with the kit, it called for me to use 3 inch pvc spacers but I couldn't tell if I had to use the washers or not and if so where to place them, on top of the pvc spacers or on the bottom of them. Thanks

Originally posted by drmaxdc View Post
    I'm rebuilding the forks on my 81 GS1100 E that has the adjustment knob on the bottom of them. The numbers are missing on one side. Which way do you turm them to get to number 1, clockwise? Is it the same for both sides? Also, I put some progressive springs in them and there were some metal washers that came with the kit, it called for me to use 3 inch pvc spacers but I couldn't tell if I had to use the washers or not and if so where to place them, on top of the pvc spacers or on the bottom of them. Thanks
    A PVC spacer is used to increase preload. It is usually on top where it is easy to get to. You want a metal spacer/washer directly on top of teh spring as it is less likely to wear out the PVS if it rides on a smooth surface.

Measure your sag before you are done.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      A PVC spacer is used to increase preload. It is usually on top where it is easy to get to. You want a metal spacer/washer directly on top of teh spring as it is less likely to wear out the PVS if it rides on a smooth surface.

Measure your sag before you are done.
      Doesn't the cap (preload adjustable ones) need the/a sold metal flat on top of the spring where the centre of the underside of the cap presses down in the middle of the spring?

Comment

Working...
      X