Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for the oil filter cover nuts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for the oil filter cover nuts...

As can be read in another thread, I dropped a nut where it cannot be easily gotten. I need to replace it. Do you all recommend the acorn nut style, or do more of you go with the nylock-style nuts for this application? I have a choice here, to replace with something that will work better, or else go with the old standard. Happy to move up if it's recommended.

Also, I read that the stock studs are 6mm. I also thought I remembered something about a 10mm acorn nut. I don't know where the heck I got 10mm, but I would now like to confirm 6mm with a 1.00 thread pitch.

Thank you all!

Yes, its a 6 mm x 1.0 pitch.

What confuses some is the fact that it takes a 10 mm wrench to turn the nuts, so they call it a 10 mm nut.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yes, its a 6 mm x 1.0 pitch.

What confuses some is the fact that it takes a 10 mm wrench to turn the nuts, so they call it a 10 mm nut.

Man, I am glad I asked. I was at Ace this morning, and saw a 10-24...looked about the same size, and I know little to nothing about fasteners. (I'm getting better.) I talked myself out of it, and will go pick up a 6mm x 1.0.

Now what about the acorn vs. open vs. nylock style? Any preferences?

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesin View Post
        Now what about the acorn vs. open vs. nylock style? Any preferences?
        I prefer the acorn nut because it does not leave the threads on the end of the stud exposed, resulting in rust which could make the open/nyloc type nut difficult to remove without damaging the thread ends.
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Good point. I got both styles, but will use the acorn nuts for this next go-round.

Thank you all for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X