Brake Axle Bolt Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Axle Bolt Boots

Looking over the brake system today in anticipation of tearing it all down and rebuilding it (master cylinder cup sets came in yesterday!), I notice that one of the brake axle bolt boots is torn. That's part #10 in the fiche. It's not a complete tear, in that it hasn't separated the boot into two pieces. Anyone think it's worth trying to repair, maybe with some liquid electrical tape or something like that? I understand it's purpose is to just hold in the silicone grease for the axle bolts, and as such, shouldn't have too much stress on them. I'm planning on replacing them all in about a month or two regardless, but I was curious if the repair might be ok for test rides in the short time while I get everything I'll be working on sorted.

Why do it again in a month? If you don't mind doing it again, then don't worry about the tear.

Comment

Oh, I'm just replacing the little boots themselves in a month. They're the only rubber piece in the entire brake systems that I forgot to order. Funds are currently tied up in carb rebuilding and the rest of my projects, so I won't be able to pick them up until I get back a little bit of cash flow.

Comment

Temporary fix.

Comment

Originally posted by TSCC View Post
          I was going to try something similar, a liquid electrical tape, but once I started disassembling the other caliper, I found that I have another boot that's pretty badly stuck in it's groove. All of them are rather soft, almost gooey in texture, especially on the inside, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and spend the cash to get new ones.

Comment

Hi Mr. Turtleface,

I've got a couple of spares I could stuff in and envelope and mail to you. Send me a PM if you like.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X