8 wire regulator rectifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 wire regulator rectifier?

So my bike never came with a regulator/rectifier. Brand new one cost $200. I read the regulator/rectifier replacement thing on bikecliffs and figured I could do that. Not too many bikes at my local junk yards so I din't have much to choose from. I know Bikecliff used a 6-wire r/r in his write, but all I could find was an 8 wire off of some honda for $20. Anyone know how to wire an 8 wire?

I am going to guess on the wires, but I will say there are three that are the same color (probably yellow) that will connect to the three stator wires. Two will be output wires (probably red). Two will be ground (probably green). One will be a sense wire (probably black). The output and ground wires are best connected straight to the battery. The sense wire should be connected to something that is switched with the ignition key, but VERY close to battery voltage when it's ON. Many have connected it to the tail light wire or the brake light supply (before the switch) so that it 'sees' battery voltage.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well you got all the wire colors right! There's two red wires, two green, one black, and 3 yellow. So pretty much wire it the same as like bikecliff except there's two reds and two greens. Thanks!

Comment

Yep. They doubled up on the number of wires for output and ground so they did not have to use larger wire.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X