Governer won't turn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Governer won't turn?

The valve cover has been off my GS850 for about a month now as I've struggled to get this valve adjustment and timing thing squared away. (The latter I'm pretty sure I got right, at least.) Now that I'm finally ready to check my clearances and order some shims, I've run into another speedbump: I can't get the governer to turn past a certain point.

I'm pretty sure if I force it, the only thing I will succeed in doing is rounding off the hex bolt. As they say in maintenance "Don't force the issue." Shifting gears didn't seem to make a difference. (I dunno, figured I'd try.) Anyway, I'm a bike 'tard. Any suggestions?

OK, what are you calling "the governor"?

As far as I know, there is no "governor" on our bikes.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bolt on the passenger side of the bike near all the timing mark shenanegans that you turn the camshafts with.

I'm using a Clymer manual, the exact words it uses to describe it are "... large hex shoulder of the advance governer..." Again, I am a bike-tard.

^ Wrong governer? =P
      Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2010, 05:49 PM.

Comment

That would be "The GOVERNATOR", not just "the governor".

If you are using a 19 mm wrench, you are on the right hex.

The job is a bit easier if the spark plugs are out.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I had the plugs in about one thread, since there's a lot of crap on top of the engine and I didn't want any of it to fall in. (I'm 'parked' under a tree, joy.) I pulled them out and tried turning it again, still wouldn't go.

When I turn it all the way, it makes a metallic noise when it stops, like it's hitting something on the inside. And yes, I do have the wrench handy. Seemed a lot less likely to strip the hex.

Comment

You're not telling us the whole story

Did you turn the motor over with shims removed?

Did you turn the "governer" clockwise?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Q: Did you turn the motor over with shims removed?

A: I'm pretty sure I have at one point or another. Or at least attempted to.

Q: Did you turn the "governer" clockwise?

A: I was turning it clockwise... til it stopped being able to turn that direction anymore. I think I can turn it a little less than 90 degrees in either direction before it just won't turn anymore.

Comment

You're hitting a valve. The crank/cam timing is off.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Put all the shims back in... Then look at a diagram from your shop manual and check the timing marks on the cam sprokets... what chef said will then make sense... There is also a couple of timing marks near the ' Guvnor'. Read that shop manual and you will see how to make sure that all the timing marks are in the right place... but make sure you have the shims in first!
                  Curt
                  sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

It appears I was the victim of a bad timing job! Finally got it all lined up and everything rotates smoothly. Time to start swappin' shims. Thanks a ton!

Comment

Originally posted by Moki of Rancho View Post
                      It appears I was the victim of a bad timing job! Finally got it all lined up and everything rotates smoothly. Time to start swappin' shims. Thanks a ton!
                      Or someone rotated the engine with the cam chain tensioner removed.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                      X