Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs450 to bigger bike wheels, brakes, swing arm, ect.. will it work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 to bigger bike wheels, brakes, swing arm, ect.. will it work???

I have a question about retrofitting better components to my 82 gs450t.

I would really love to get rid of the drum brake rear and get a disk. Is there an easy way to do this? There is an ad on clist locally right now for some gs850 stuff. rear swing arm, wheels, brakes, ect.. Seeing as it has both rear disks and dual front disks it would be perfect for what I would like to do.

Has anyone here done this? I know alot of the 400-450 stuff is interchangable.. but, does any of the big bike stuff work?

If this isnt an option I will probably have to go with something newer. If I have to do any fab work at all I would much rather do it on something that will have a bigger increase in performance. I saw hillsy (sorry if I misspelled your name) was using a fzr swing arm and some other new bike bits but it would be impossible to find most of those parts here in the states..

Any help would be appreciated btw..

I am a certified bike mechanic and I also work at a chassis fab shop.. so none of this is over my head.. just looking for easier, bolt on style swaps..

Thanks in advance for any help

Okay, just realized that the 850 is shaft drive.. I couldnt see it in the pics because the swing arm wasnt shown well at all.. but, there is also a 750 parts bike for real cheap..

same questions as above.. would the 750 stuff swap to my 450?

thanks

Comment

Damn good question, and one I don't recall seeing before.

Maybe you're the first!

So I'd say, grab your calipers and rulers and boldy forge a new path -- venture into the mechanical wilderness and bring back the prize of KNOWLEDGE for TheGSResources Hive Mind.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Would it work? You might have to weld on a mount for the master cylinder. I have a 1981 GS 450 and would love to do the same thing, thanks for the idea.

Comment

These bits fell into my hands - if you can fab....
          Small Brembos all round - fronts use Z750 discs on homemade carriers.
          Wheels are Kawa 250 17/18in.
          Rear uses Kawa disc with a carrier for the caliper made from 10mm alloy and a torque arm picking up on the OE point on the swingarm.
          Rear M/C - Brembo - is on an alloy plate which carries footrest also and which spans several pickup points on the frame.
          None of it really difficult
          Use what you can find....

Greg T

Comment

Working...
          X