Stuckon removing rear wheel on GS1100GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuckon removing rear wheel on GS1100GL

Hi there - in all the manuals and the wonderful document by BikeCliff the nut on the rear wheel is on the brake side but mine is on the shaft side. See photos. I've tried tapping the end of the bolt thru but I think I am missing a step. Please advise.

Thank you!

Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2010, 02:07 PM. Reason: typo

More pics of how I hung the bike and what is supported. Did I miss anything?

Comment

It appears I need a special tool

See step 5 on page 30 of this PDF manual

"Loosen the axel shaft holder bolt and draw out the axel shaft."

Sounds easy, and I bet it is with the tool in this picture. :-(

Comment

Solved

I updated one photo and circled the bolt which must be loose before you can tap the axle out. I hope this helps someone because I sure feel dumb, but educated.

Comment

Hi,

I always take off that bolt holding the rear brake line, then take off the caliper (remove the two bolts on either side of the piston) and hang it somewhere, either on the upper shock mount stud or using a line like you have. That bolt holding the rear brake line is also a pinch bolt. Once you have the brake line loose the axle is no longer "pinched" and should come out.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

"Hi there - in all the manuals and the wonderful document by BikeCliff the nut on the rear wheel is on the brake side but mine is on the shaft side. See photos."

On the earlier model shafties, 79, 80, and 81, the axle nut is on the brake side.

On the 82 and 83 GS850G and GL, GS1000G and GL, and GS1100G and GL, as well as the GK models, the axle nut is on the shaft side.

You obviously have the more recent model shaftie. I can tell by the different "spoke" pattern on the wheel.

Nick Diaz
            Middletown, MD

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
              More pics of how I hung the bike and what is supported. Did I miss anything?

By the way, I like your method of lifting your bike.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                By the way, I like your method of lifting your bike.
                I actualy lifted it with a car jack on the bracket for the center stand (which is gone) and then steadied it with the straps. I was a little afraid this heavy girl would pull the roof down!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

I always take off that bolt holding the rear brake line, then take off the caliper (remove the two bolts on either side of the piston) and hang it somewhere, either on the upper shock mount stud or using a line like you have. That bolt holding the rear brake line is also a pinch bolt. Once you have the brake line loose the axle is no longer "pinched" and should come out.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  And of course now I remember reading just that in y our article!

Comment

Working...
                  X