side stand safety switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side stand safety switch

My bike is a 1981 GS1100e...but I assume this applies to all GS models so equipped. Is this side stand safety switch a normally open or a normally closed switch? Can a standard rear brake switch be used instead? Getting ready to try an make her crank over on her own without having to jump solenoid terminals........and this is a question that is holding me up. Thanks.

the clutch interlock is normally open (in series with the G/Y from the starter button to the selonoid)and you have to depress the clutch to power the solenid.

You could unscrew it from the back of the clutch perch and short it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
      My bike is a 1981 GS1100e...but I assume this applies to all GS models so equipped. Is this side stand safety switch a normally open or a normally closed switch? Can a standard rear brake switch be used instead? Getting ready to try an make her crank over on her own without having to jump solenoid terminals........and this is a question that is holding me up. Thanks.
      The side stand switch on the 1100Es does not interfere with the starting circuit...it only controls a light on the dash panel.

It does however have a switch on the clutch lever, as posplayr referred to. These often go bad, but can easily be replaced or bypassed.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
      X