Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Crash Repairs - Starting up... or not

Hey Fellas,

Thanks to parts from Chef and Rustybronco I've started in on getting my baby fixed up after a crash.

I hit a snag today - after I got the advancer mechanism and signal gen installed and wired up, I was quite excited to fire her up. Freshly charged battery, turn the key, cranking great... but no catch and certainly no start.

I was unable to fit the signal gen backing plate - it was deformed by the crash. But I think it was only to make it easier to adjust the timing. You can check out the pictures here - http://picasaweb.google.com/joshua.r...eat=directlink

I pulled & grounded plugs 1 and 4 - spark looked good. Played with choke & prime on the petcock. Verified that there was fuel in the tank. Not sure what could be causing a no start - if it's something I did wrong or possibly something caused by the crash.

So this might not be an electrical thread. But seemed like a fine place to start getting some troubleshooting help. Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi Josh,

I just wanted to say that I'm happy to see that you are closer to getting your 850 running again. I feel your pain.

All I have for you right now is a picture of what it's supposed to look like. How bad is your bent?

Let me know if you'd like better pictures. Sorry, I can't be a lot of help because my ignition has never given me a problem.

EDIT: Never mind, I looked at your pictures. Can you borrow a timing light? That might help.

For your shock bushings, see my post in this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...02&postcount=6

I found some bushings in the AutoZone store (also at NAPA) that are much better than the junk they gave us with the MDI/EMGO shocks.

Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2010, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Hey thanks Basscliff - I can't see your pics. Where are they hosted?

You think it might be electrical despite the good spark?

J

Comment

Hi,

Most of my pictures are hosted at Photobucket.com.

You know me, I have to go through a process of elimination before I get to the fix. It's always the last thing I try.

BassCliff

Comment

You didn't cross the plug on the signal generator? Make sure 1&4 are firing when the crank trigger passes the left coil on the plate. You can also put the crank trigger on the advance backwards. If your getting spark and have gas this is probably the problem.
          Make sure the crank trigger is facing left when the timing marks you can see are 1&4.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Problem solved!

Awesome, thanks Chef!

I guess this belonged in the electrical thread after all.

The spark on 4 was coinciding with the RIGHT coil. Rotated the trigger 180 degrees, reassembled, and she fired right up and ran just like before once I tweaked the timing a smidge! Woohoo!

The only major work remaining is the fork rebuild, but I'll take the test ride as soon as I replace my helmet.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            You didn't cross the plug on the signal generator? Make sure 1&4 are firing when the crank trigger passes the left coil on the plate. You can also put the crank trigger on the advance backwards. If your getting spark and have gas this is probably the problem.
            Make sure the crank trigger is facing left when the timing marks you can see are 1&4.

Comment

Hi,

Uh, that was going to be my next suggestion.

It's great you got it fired up. That chef guy is a wonder, ain't he?

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X