Headlight Replacement Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Replacement Question

I've read in the Old Tech Info section about switching from stock sealed beam headlight to a newer fixture with a removable H4 bulb. I was looking at getting this housing and bulb combo for my 78 GS 750:

Memotronics is your online source for lighting and industrial supplies. We stock over 2000 miniature, line-voltage and halogen bulbs for industrial, automotive, residential and commercial applications. Our automotive lighting selection includes vintage and hard-to-find bulbs for domestic and import cars, as well as a range of thermal, electronic and solid state flashers, including a range of turn sugnal flashers for aftermarket LED conversions

and this is the bulb that comes with the housing with the combo:

Memotronics is your online source for lighting and industrial supplies. We stock over 2000 miniature, line-voltage and halogen bulbs for industrial, automotive, residential and commercial applications. Our automotive lighting selection includes vintage and hard-to-find bulbs for domestic and import cars, as well as a range of thermal, electronic and solid state flashers, including a range of turn sugnal flashers for aftermarket LED conversions

The bulb is a 60w/55w(high/low) bulb. I heard my stock light is only about 35w. Will the wiring be ok and handle the load if I go with the upgrade?

Thanks, Brent

Hi,

I run the Sylvania Silverstar H4 bulb in my headlight, a 65w/55w unit. As long as your charging system is in good shape you'll have no problems.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ah... BassCliff to my rescue again, you rock! I've changed my mind on my housing/reflector. I'm goning to go with the Bosch reflector that candlepower offers, that Nessism suggested in the old post and the silverstar bulbs you suggested.

As for my charging system, it seems to be in full working order, but we'll find out...

I'll make sure to post before and afters to provide the results! Thanks guys!

Comment

Does the Bosch housing reflector (7") swap right in?

I have some H4 bulbs from my car I would use... do I need any connectors or adapters or just the housing and bulb...?

I have an 81 gs450

Comment

Will that blow fuses? On my 79' GS 1000L, I'm only rated for 50/40watts. I don't want to fry anything!!

Comment

herostar,
            As an option, on my 450 I kept the original housing and just ordered the 6-3/8 headlamp with the H4 60/55 bulb but if you've got the bulbs you can just get the headlamp. For me that was a better solution than swapping out the whole bucket.

Comment

Back in the day (the highly-regulated Carter administration), we often purchased mail-order "European" halogen headlights, which used the H4 bulbs. The 7" ones fit right into any GS (as well as any car that runs 7" headlights, such as my '72 Beetle and my '84 GTI).

We never had any charging problems (my friends and I had a GS550, a GS750 and a GS1000G with halogen headlights).

Comment

Working...
              X