Test clutch on shafty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test clutch on shafty?

So I got my wheel spline replaced and I think that is OK now but I am having trouble getting my clutch adjusted just right after stupidly taking off the clutch cover to diagnose previous problem.

My first clutch adjustment attempt I found it too hard to shift, and the second attempt it was obviously slipping a lot. The third try seemed perfect until I went out around town for about 30 minutes, a lot of stop and go around downtown. I noticed when I gunned it the pull was not as strong as usual though the engine sounded good, and also down shifting into low gear for engine braking did not seem to grab like it should.

I think I may have caused damage by high revving the bike recently while holding the clutch lever in when I should have put it in neutral, or better yet, not be a fool and rev my engine high just to make a joke with a friend who was trying to talk to his wife. :-)

So maybe I have a clutch going out. How can I be sure? Is there some easy way to check wear or is it a nightmare to remove? The exploded diagram is scary(!) and I've just got basic tools. The PO put a new "Barret" in about 12k miles ago, though he said he did not use the Barret springs because he said it was too hard to squeeze the lever. He gave me the Barret springs, so I could try those if someone thought it was worth doing.

Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2010, 01:10 AM. Reason: typo

Change out 3 of the clutch springs in there now for 3 Barnett springs. Install them so they are staggered every other one. Stock, Barnett, stock Barnett, stock, Barnett. Also, make sure you have at least 1/4 inch of free play in the clutch lever. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you need help & don't want to wait for answers here. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Change out 3 of the clutch springs in there now for 3 Barnett springs. Install them so they are staggered every other one. Stock, Barnett, stock Barnett, stock, Barnett. Also, make sure you have at least 1/4 inch of free play in the clutch lever. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you need help & don't want to wait for answers here. Ray.
      Dumb question: Where is the 1/4" free play supposed to be? When I pull the lever it should move a 1/4" before it moves the lever on the clutch cover at the other end of the cable?

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Thanks again for taking my call - I understand now. I can't wait to get out there and try the changes to the lever adjuster and get those springs changed.

-Bob

Comment

Working...
        X