Another nice New England ride - and a stop at Coopers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another nice New England ride - and a stop at Coopers

We were blessed with another beautiful New England spring day Saturday! I made plans with Skuny (John), another newbie to the forum given a GS , and we went for a ride up to Cooper's in Franklin, NH. (http://mcsalvage.com/coopers.htm)

This is a huge barn, 3 levels, crammed full of old Jap bike parts (nothing British, Italian or American) Honda, Kaw, Yam and Suzuki stuff. Hundreds and hundreds of parts; seats, tanks, carbs, fenders, exhausts - you name it. Had a complete RE5 bike (Rotary engine) inside, sale pending. 79 750E complete. But, nothing goes out the door inexpensively...

The visit had two purposes; one to show John where he can find some parts if needed, and two, to see if they still had the 83 1100E pipes I hide up in the attic a couple of years back! Josh (TCK) is looking for a nice set of pipes for Essie.

I was horrified to find all of the exhausts that used to be inside on the second floor, sitting outside in the weather developing a fine patina of rust . I bet they had 100 exhaust sets for our GS's - unfortuneately, the 83 1100E pipes were gone - I did find the center section for cyclinders 2 and 3, but that's all

Tanks range from $75 to $300, depending on condition. Probably had 20 vintage Suzuki tanks..

Tail racks - they must have had 50 K&G racks, no GK stuff though.

Seats - over 100 seats

Engine, brake, suspension parts - tubs and tubs full.

Edit: Not much for plastics (didn't see any side covers) but saw some tail pieces, and hundreds of fenders.

The 2 or 3 guys that work there are a little quirky, but very nice, friendly, - and amazingly, they do know what they have in that big barn! Just about every part is tagged what it is (or what it came off). Occasionally, I've seen some mis-marked so make sure you know what you want/or are getting.

The down side - they have a big sign on the door heading in - Cash only, no checks, no plastic. (But they have an ebay account!?)

If anyone calls them long distance, and they have what you want / need, I could be talked in to helping out with a cash transaction if they insist on cash (that makes doing your taxes so much easier ).

John, thanks for a nice ride - we'll do it again!
    Last edited by gs scott; 04-25-2010, 08:13 AM.
    Scott
    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
    sigpic

Oh that's so funny you went there. I think we talked about that last year. Those guys are nuts, huh? I Rode past there on Thursday and almost stopped in.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
      But, nothing goes out the door inexpensively...

Thats an understatement...

Ive gone up there a couple of times for work, the older guy with the longer hair is pretty cool and seems like he knows his stuff. There was another guy who was roaming around who seemed like he was quite miserable.

I did get a tank and set of carbs for my 750 from them though.

Comment

Originally posted by slow_heavy_750 View Post
        Thats an understatement...

There was another guy who was roaming around who seemed like he was quite miserable.

The correct term is not "miserable" but simply "old skool" .

If you had to deal with stupid people who have no money and waste all of your time with dumb comments and questions you'd be "miserable" too.

I'm sure once they get to know your educated face, and your cash they become a little kinder.. LOL

I've heard of that salvage place, but never been. I gotta check it out !
        Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2010, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Coopers

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
          I've heard of that salvage place, but never been. I gotta check it out !
          Rich, I could spend hours in there looking around at all the stuff - you have to see it, it's kinda amazing! There's a pile of frames rusting away on one side of the barn, and on the other are the exhausts and shipping boxes of bikes waiting to broken down (or sold as is.) An afternoon can slip by very easily!
          Scott
          1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
          1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
          1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
          2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X