Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a guy gotts to do do get the CS nut loose??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats a guy gotts to do do get the CS nut loose??

Sheesh! I have never had this problem with a bike. 82 1100E. I thought I had busted this sucker loose a couple days ago, turns out I was seeing things (actually I think i slipped it into neutral on accident with the air impact gun) I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of short of putting a chain on it (The chain is off, which I realize is a mistake NOW, but Ive never had this problem before with an air impact gun) I have gone to town on this thing with the AIG, a torch to heat it (thinking maybe someone used the wrong loctite) Breaker bar, etc. I have a new chain to put on it, and I suppose I can put it on, but it seems damn silly to do so, just to take it back off to put the new CS sprocket on. Anyone else have any ideas???

Back in my bicycle days, I used a tool like this to get the sprocket off

I'm pretty sure I've seen something like this at the auto parts store. Maybe you can give that a try.

I just remembered what it's called: A chain whip.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

The thing you've seen like that at the Auto store is most likely an oil filter wrench....

Do you have plugs in the engine? That will help to provide resistance. Also put it in 5th gear as again you'll have more resistance.

I also expect you could fashion some kind of tool to jam the sprocket against either the case or the floor, even with loctite on it heat should release it.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Put the chain on or put it in gear & use at LEAST 100 lbs of air pressure with a 1/2 inch air impact. It will come off. One other thing, test the gun to make sure it is turning the CORRECT direction! I've seen it before!!! LOL!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Also put it in 5th gear as again you'll have more resistance.
          Since you are applying pressure to the output and trying to resist with the engine, you will be better off by putting it in FIRST gear.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't see that Steve... It must require more torque from a stop to turn the engine through 5th gear in either direction - doesn't make sense any other way.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Steve's right. Think it through.
              One turn of the sprocket in first gear needs a lot more turns of the crank, it is easy to turn the engine in fifth.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Put the chain on, block the back wheel, get your 18" breaker bar and take it off!!

That's all I needed.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Steve's right. Think it through.
                  One turn of the sprocket in first gear needs a lot more turns of the crank, it is easy to turn the engine in fifth.
                  Ok, I'll agree with you guys... It's not that important

There's a saying in England: "The lazy man works hardest" by which we mean that it's probably easier just to put the chain back on & block the wheel rather than work harder trying to find an "easy" work around.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Remove while chain is attached and whell blocked...and a large breaker bar no problems...

Comment

Josh,

Try making a different face if that dosn't work I always go with big power tools.

Comment

Use the chain and allow it to spool up on the cog until it contacts the engine.
                        On CloudbreakMD's bike we had to use a 2 foot breaker and hang onto the bike.

The nut should only have about 30-40 lbs of torque. It has a lock washer to secure it, anymore than required is crazy.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I dont know what tension the sprocket nut is on an 1100, but on my 650 the quoted torque is 66 to 73 LBS/FT

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                            Use the chain and allow it to spool up on the cog until it contacts the engine.
                            On CloudbreakMD's bike we had to use a 2 foot breaker and hang onto the bike.

The nut should only have about 30-40 lbs of torque. It has a lock washer to secure it, anymore than required is crazy.
                            Would you not run the risk of knocking a hole in the engine case if the sprocket was too tight. On older 750 Hondas you would for sure.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Most are put on with a 1/2" impact gun very few use a torque wrench so they should come of with an air impact and the chain on the rear sprocket and rear brake locked up. Do not bunch the chain up crankcase damage is possible as with any bike. Maybe someone put loctite on it then that's a real problem.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X