Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First GS450L

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the forum. I have been hanging around and reading a lot for awhile but I have just recently started tearing into the bike. I hope to have it on the road by the end of spring. Thanks to everyone for the photos, posts, advice, etc. This is a great forum. I am working on my first GS450L, a 1984, that I picked up for $400.00 (The sign was a "best offer" get it out of here deal!). It has been sitting for 5 years and has 11,000 original miles on it. So far I have repaired a burned up ground wire in the harness, removed the carbs, taken one of them apart, and will be doing the dip next week. I figure I should do one at a time. I have o-rings and gaskets on order so I'm pretty much ready to go, I hope!

Let me know what you think!

Thanks, Mark

Looks great for a $400 bike! Looks exactly like mine, minus my minor rust, and my mis-matched side covers (the tank is the same as yours, but my side covers are a gunmetal blue w/ gold striping) I'm in the middle of fixing mine up as well. It sat for, as far as I can tell, 13 years . Just cleaned out the carbs, am waiting on some misc. parts to put her back together to see if my adjustments were a success. Good luck!

Comment

Very nice. You'll find a lot of help around here.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Good luck.. I had one or two issues with mine (carbs/muffler header bolts/coils) but I'm glad to say it's running great now.. See attached pic.. the date on the camera reset but it was taken last week. Also have a new addition to the fleet

Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

How did the carb cleaning go?

I've never done any carb work, but my '81 450e with 13,000 miles is probably due up for a cleaning... I'd like to see some pictures and get a little more info if you could

Comment

Working...
          X