SUZY is not cranking yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUZY is not cranking yet

ok. 1981 GS1100E. Have all the lights working, blinkers working. Honda R/R unit wired in. Ran a good ground for the starter solenoid back to the battery negative. When I push the starter button...solenoid just clicks good and loud. On the solenoid....terminal closest to the battery is the positive battery cable, the terminal furthest from the battery is the starter cable. Solenoid is in stock location. Now I know it could be because I am using an old truck battery and jumper cables as power source right now.....don't actually have a battery in the bike itself...so my connections might not be adequate at moment. But SUZY is coming along nicely considering what she was when I got her.

Use an old screwdriver to short between the two big terminals on the solenoid. Yes it will arc when you do this.
    If the starter turns now, you need to either clean the contacts inside this solenoid or consider getting another one.
    If you choose to get a new solenoid, look at Lowe's or Home Depot, in the lawn tractor section. Same size, basically the same rating, they fit perfectly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i did take the 2 screws out of the top of this solenoid...but it did not come apart more than about 1/16 of an inch. it does crank if i jump the 2 big terminals. So lowes has solenoids....wonder if rural king does as well.....or local parts store.

Comment

Anyone know what the Ampage rating has to be for the starter Solenoid?

Thanks!

Comment

Thats for a 1981 GS450.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
            ok. 1981 GS1100E. Have all the lights working, blinkers working. Honda R/R unit wired in. Ran a good ground for the starter solenoid back to the battery negative. When I push the starter button...solenoid just clicks good and loud. On the solenoid....terminal closest to the battery is the positive battery cable, the terminal furthest from the battery is the starter cable. Solenoid is in stock location. Now I know it could be because I am using an old truck battery and jumper cables as power source right now.....don't actually have a battery in the bike itself...so my connections might not be adequate at moment. But SUZY is coming along nicely considering what she was when I got her.
            honda r/r? what mod is that?

Comment

Originally posted by SKD View Post
              honda r/r? what mod is that?
              Honda Rectifier/Regulator better replacement then stock search there's a bunch of info on here probably on Basscliff's site as well

Comment

or you could just buy an aftermarket version....

Comment

Anyone know what the Ampage rating has to be for the starter Solenoid of a 1981 GS450?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilencer View Post
                    Anyone know what the Ampage rating has to be for the starter Solenoid of a 1981 GS450?

Check in there, this pc dosent view PDF files yet.

And thats the link off of BassCliffs site.

Good site to look at for GS owners. Bookmark it.

Comment

@thesilencer... Not sure about ampage rating, but can personally vouch for the LOWES solenoid. I install one a few weeks ago after having the exact issue you are describing. The LOWES model is made by MTD. the mounting brackets, are exactly the same as the original solenoid. I believe I paid $12 for it.

May be the difference in years/model (i have an 81 gs450s), but on my bike the solenoid post closest to the battery is GROUND (black) and runs directly to starter. The outside post is HOT (red) and runs to positive terminal on battery along with another power wire containing a fuse.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by bighamms View Post
                        May be the difference in years/model (i have an 81 gs450s), but on my bike the solenoid post closest to the battery is GROUND (black) and runs directly to starter. The outside post is HOT (red) and runs to positive terminal on battery along with another power wire containing a fuse.
                        Hold on there, there is no ground terminal on the solenoid.

Concerning the two LARGE terminals on the top, one goes to the battery, you might consider that one always hot.
                        The other one goes to the starter, it will be hot when you push the starter button (and only while you hold the starter button).
                        Neither one of them should EVER be connected to ground.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

@ steve... sorry, i stand corrected. It is not grounded. the black runs to starter motor. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Actually, in most of the bikes that have come through my garage, both of those wires were black.

And, ... the solenoid is grounded, but it's grounded through the case. Since the case is bolted to the side of the battery box, which is rubber-mounted, you have to make sure it has a good ground wire somewhere on the battery case.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by gs road racer View Post
                              Honda Rectifier/Regulator better replacement then stock search there's a bunch of info on here probably on Basscliff's site as well
                              thanks, i'll look into that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X