GS trike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS trike?

My wife wants a trike, so I'm thinking of building her a custom using a GS of course. I'm wondering about the rear axle. Thinking of using a large four wheeler as a swing arm/ axle assy to use. Any thoughts on how it would steer with a solid axle?

With a solid axle, it will tend to go straight ahead, much like the older Honda trikes.

I just saw one a couple of weeks ago that was on a Suzuki Burgman, and it had independent drive for the rear wheels.

Just be careful about the "trike kits" that are actually just supplemental outrigger wheels. They actually then have FOUR wheels on the ground and legally, they remove the vehicle from "motorycle" status.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is super nice, but rides like a truck.

Comment

Full view.

Comment

Here's the next generation

Comment

Suspension.

Comment

Why not get her one of those new spyders? or does she want a tryke?

Personaly I hate that style of tryke as I flipped one when I was younger in the bush. The spyders are kind of cool as they have 2 wheels in the front and 1 in the back.

Comment

Can-Am Spyder

The Can Am Spyder is an interesting vehicle for sure.
                My Step-Uncle has one, and once the roads are clear of sand and salt, he goes everywhere on it.

Apparently they handle like a dream, and accelerate like a scalded cat!
                Not too bad on the eyes either, in a snowmobile with wheels kind of way.
                They are available with an automatic transmission as well.

Comment

Yeppers, and I beleive they are made in kelowna where I am from. Or atleast assembled. They always demo them around here. And yah they move and are very stable in the corners.

Comment

While out to brunch yesterday my wife and I spotted a Spyder Roadster.

My wife, who doesn't like riding on my bike cause of the lean and such, said she'd love to try the Roadster. Hmmm ...

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                      While out to brunch yesterday my wife and I spotted a Spyder Roadster.
                      My wife, who doesn't like riding on my bike cause of the lean and such, said she'd love to try the Roadster. Hmmm ...
                      Wait until she sees the sticker.

There are three 'trim levels' available, basically for $21, 23 and 25,000.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Exactly. This is a low buck build. She wants a trike, and I want to be able to say I built it. Plus I want it to be a GS. What about using a differential from a 4wd 4 wheeler? Think it'll hold up? Also those are shaft drive so gear ratio would be a factor I'm sure.

Comment

A couple of years ago, there was a thread started by someone that had made a trike. Might have been in England?

I do remember that it was very well executed.

Haven't found the original post yet, but here is a picture of it that I saw posted in another thread:

OK, found the thread. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ighlight=trike

Last edited by Steve; 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I recall one from England that was bought as an already converted trike, I think they used the back end of a really small british car.

Think it was an 850 shaftdrive used for the conversion.

Comment

I found this thread on that same trike, but recalled another one... but cant find it.

that thread has some more details on the build and mostly the same pics but a few different.

Comment

Working...
                              X