SIze Matters - Measure Your Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIze Matters - Measure Your Battery

I need a new battery for the Kat and went to Sears to pick one up. The factory service manual specifies a YB14L-A2. The Sears Diehard AGM equivalent is a 14AHL-BS. I got the battery home yesterday, added the acid and put it on the Battery Tender. Today I swapped the new battery in only to find that the airbox would not fit. I measured the old battery which was 5 1/4 X 3 1/2 X 6 1/2 inches. The Diehard was the same width and depth but it was over 1/2 inch taller. I did some research online and ordered a Big Crank ETX15L which measures the same as the old battery and was significantly cheaper than the Diehard.

So, measure first as all equivalent batteries may not be the same size.....

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

You're going to love the Big Crank .

I have one in my 82 Kat and it fits fine (no airbox though).

Comment

You can get an ETX15 at nearly any auto parts place too. Having worked at O'Reilly's and CarQuest I know they are stocked there. The one in my skunk came from O'Reilly's.
      -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
      DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
      -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

I ran into the same thing when I bought the Diehard, but in the case of the '78 or '79 GS1000 E or S, it will work. Ray
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
          You're going to love the Big Crank .

I have one in my 82 Kat and it fits fine (no airbox though).
          Yes, I was thinking that it would work in my '83 1100E as it also has no airbox. I thought of swapping but the '83 has a regular battery and then I'd have to go through the hassle of removing the airbox on the Kat just to check the fluid level.

Originally posted by IanC View Post
          You can get an ETX15 at nearly any auto parts place too. Having worked at O'Reilly's and CarQuest I know they are stocked there. The one in my skunk came from O'Reilly's.
          That is good to know. Thanks!

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Sure there wasn't a plastic spacer snapped to the bottom of the battery?

I've seen this on other batteries, but I dunno about the Diehard specifically. It's their way of making one part number serve multiple purposes.

Of course, it's not out of the question that their application data is just wrong, too.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Sure there wasn't a plastic spacer snapped to the bottom of the battery?

I've seen this on other batteries, but I dunno about the Diehard specifically. It's their way of making one part number serve multiple purposes.

Of course, it's not out of the question that their application data is just wrong, too.
              Of course, Mr. Wringer is correct. There was a plastic spacer attached to the bottom of the battery with double sided tape. And it measured about 1/2 inch in height. I double-checked the instructions and there was no mention of this. Regardless, I had already oprdered the Big Crank battery for significantly less money so I took the Die Hard back to Sears. They were a bit reluctant to take it back but after they checked the application book they refunded my money less a $10 restocking charge. I still ended up about $20 to the good.

Also, the Big Crank battery has more cranking amps, 220 vs. 180 or 190 for the Die Hard. I charged the Big Crank with a Battery Tender and then let it sit for an hour. it measured 13.2 volts after sitting. It spun the Kat to life in seconds and this was the first time it has been started since last fall.

Another positive is that the Big Crank is made in America while the Die Hard is made in China.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

I just bought a brand spanky new Deka AGM. Its indeed abit taller, but since i have no airbox, no matter. The NICE thing is that there are no silly little post nuts. The posts are solid, and then threaded thru, so if you have 3 or 4 things running to ground, you dont have to use a longer bolt. Not only that, but if you wanted to be REALLY snazzy, they are threaded not only on top, but thru the side too for side mount posts. This would allow you to run all your "accessory" wires off the side, making it easer to get to just the battery wires if you need.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  I just bought a brand spanky new Deka AGM. Its indeed abit taller, but since i have no airbox, no matter. The NICE thing is that there are no silly little post nuts. The posts are solid, and then threaded thru, so if you have 3 or 4 things running to ground, you dont have to use a longer bolt. Not only that, but if you wanted to be REALLY snazzy, they are threaded not only on top, but thru the side too for side mount posts. This would allow you to run all your "accessory" wires off the side, making it easer to get to just the battery wires if you need.
                  My old battery was a Deka ETX15L and it looks identical to the Big Crank battery right down to the threaded side and top posts and stickers except is market 190 CCA while the Big Crank is marked 220 CCA.

Thanks,
                  Joe
                  IBA# 24077
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                    My old battery was a Deka ETX15L and it looks identical to the Big Crank battery right down to the threaded side and top posts and stickers except is market 190 CCA while the Big Crank is marked 220 CCA.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    Ohh nice! Well since I replaced my RR with an FET RR and am charging at a lovely 14.25 (about 13 flat at idle with the brake light on) I've found that even when cold my ES starts faster than I can get my finger off the button and I also haven't had any kickback ever (knock on wood) 48K miles and still running like a top

Comment

The Big Cranks are re-labeled East Penn Deka batteries, made in PA....how much did ya pay for the Deka, Josh? I think BC marks them up a bit in price. When I was last shopping for an AGM, I did find it interesting that the CCA specs vary between the BC and Dekas along with the label ....at the time, the Yuasa put out the most CCA (achieved with an extra plate). I'm planning on replacing the Yuasa (it will be 5 yeras old on the 24th this month, never been dis-connected!) more for safety than anything else, and am in the market again....might try a Deka for comparison, as I've never used anything other than Yuasa.
                      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Thank you for not naming this thread "Krusty's Big Crank."
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

^^^

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Thank you for not naming this thread "Krusty's Big Crank."
                            That would be...,er, ......a 'stretch'
                            IBA# 24077
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Working...
                            X