Excessive drivetrain lash/freeplay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive drivetrain lash/freeplay?

Hi, I tried searching old threads that might address an issue (maybe it's normal) that I noticed on my 1978 GS1000 with 43k miles.

It feels like there's an overly large amount of drivetrain lash, it's noticeable when I let off the throttle and then get back on it at low speeds around town, the bike bucks more than any of my other ones. I also have a hard time making the shifts seamless and smooth because of this. My brother told me it could just be a combination of a stiffly sprung throttle and the direct slide control carbs (as opposed to CVs). I should also mention that the chain is correctly tensioned and the clutch seems to be adjusted just fine as well.

My bike also has the infamous clutch rattle, could that be a cause of the excessive lash? I'm planning on addressing that issue soon, and was just wondering how much could be attributed to loose damper springs in the clutch hub, and how much of it is just 'normal' for GS1000s.

While I'm at it, do the GSs naturally have a fairly noisy valve train? It doesn't sound 'bad' per say, I've yet to check the valve clearances yet but judging by the previous owners' records the clearances haven't changed at all in the past 20k miles? Could it be the camchain tensioner that isn't tensioning enough? It's not leaking or anything and I have no reason to believe that it's malfunctioning.

Sorry to sound so paranoid/obsessive, but I'm just trying to get everything perfect on this bike, because cosmetically, it almost is!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. XS500RUS,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Could be bad chain, loose counter shaft sprocket, loose rear sprocket, worn cush drive for rear sprocket. Could also be the clutch hub. No way to tell except take it apart and check it..
      It's an air cooled motor! it will make some noise, YOU should check the valves as a mater of routine maintenance. The cam chain should last 100k miles, if it has been setting for a long time Yes you should check it. There is a great article about checking it on BaseCliff's site

Comment

Thank you for the replies and thank you for the welcome

Wow Basscliff, your website should keep me occupied for hours! I'll definitely do the valve adjustment soon, especially after reading your tutorial, and seeing how cheap and available valve cover gaskets are (not so for my XS500).

I'll have a look at the cush drive, I know that in the Ninja 250 community people shim the cush drive with bits of rubber and malleable plastic when they get worn out, I'll make sure to check how much free play there is. I guess I'll take care of the 'main suspect' the clutch hub, and go from there.

Comment

Working...
        X