HID Headlight conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID Headlight conversion

Rated at 35w. Has a Halogen Main beam at normal 60w.

Anyone have any concerns about the old wiring holding up to this setup?

I think it should be ok but I have heard that HID draws a bigger "whack" when it fires the bulb which is where there could be a problem.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

I don't think the momentary load of the ballast starting would be much of a problem.

What might be more of a problem would be the fact that the light comes on, then you start the engine. The load of starting the engine might draw the light below its operating voltage, wreaking havoc on its longevity. It would be better if you could install a headlight switch so that you could turn the light on after the bike is already running.

My only other concern is beam pattern.
    The arc that makes the light in the capsule is not in the same place or orientation as the filament in the H4 bulb, which will greatly affect the beam that is projected. It would be better if you got a matching reflector assembly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks. I think it should run about 60w during startup & then settle back to 35w.

This is for a friend so I'll let him know about bulb longevity etc & suggest a switch.

All the stuff shown above fits in the headlight bucket - I hope it doesn't get too hot in there!

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

More information is always good, so take a look at Daniel Stern's website.

Click on the "Tech" link, then "Bulbs", then "HID lights".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          More information is always good, so take a look at Daniel Stern's website.

Click on the "Tech" link, then "Bulbs", then "HID lights".

Nice articles! I was always attracted to HID, due to the tech factor (I love me some gadgetry), but never could quite warm up to way things looked at night with them on. Now, I know why.

Comment

On my Canadian version gs1000C, the headlight switch is permanently on.This can be fixed by unscrewing the fixing screw on the side of the switch, removing the switch lever, then removing the tab on the bottom of the lever with a file. The switch lever will now move, and headlights can be turned off and on. Just remember to turn it on when driving.

I found this useful for stealth camping, but it will also work to save battery power for starting. I like to start the engine, then turn on the headlights. Useful when cold, or if you have a doubtful battery. A worthwhile precaution in a remote area where you cannot afford not to start.

This would allow the engine to be running, and at high enough rpm to be charging before turning on the hids with their higher demand on startup. My bike begins showing charging status at 2500 rpm with the headlight off.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2011, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I did the hid conversion, I would never go back to stock.

Comment

Can you tell us what equipment you used for the conversion? I am thinking of doing it, but am confused about all the makers and choices.

Comment

I bought a h-4 housing off of amazon, and bought this kit
                  http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55
                  bought the 35 watt kit bulb color 5000k
                  I left the ballast outside below the light housing so it would get cooled off. for some reason I thought they got hot.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X