650g clutch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650g clutch question

The pervious owner gave me a box of parts with the bike he sold. Among the parts are 8 of the clutch plates in opened OEM packages. I've never seen clutch plates, let alone new ones. Do these look new or used?

I'm having a bit of a hard time shifting smoothly. Especially quickly. It seems as though the clutch isn't releasing completely and the gears are clicking into place. No where as smooth as my 450. Pretty sure I have the cable adjusted properly. Any ideas besides the given, operator error?

Thanks for the help!

Charlie G.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

My vote is used. They look good though. Do you have a caliper? Measure them.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

They look used to me.
      Apparently the PO changed the fiber plates. It is possible that he failed to knock the glaze off the metal plates at that time, which could give you the notchy feel you describe. I suggest taking it apart and deglazing both the fiber and the metal plates and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        They look used to me.
        Apparently the PO changed the fiber plates. It is possible that he failed to knock the glaze off the metal plates at that time, which could give you the notchy feel you describe. I suggest taking it apart and deglazing both the fiber and the metal plates and see if that helps.
        Not deaglazing a reused parts sounds like something I might do if I was replacing the clutch. They measure 3mm with my cheap plastic michrometer. If I replace the clutch, do you have any other recomendations for other parts I should replace or repair while I have it apart? The seal on the clutch shaft ( verticle shaft on the RH side of case, which the cable attaches to) is leaking slightly and wobbles. I don't have a good concept of how this type of clutch works. I 've done VW clutches many times. I guess I need to study diagrams and read a bit. Thanks for your response.

Charlie G.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie,

You should know the PO rule by now

If you know the PO changed something, check it for yourself!

Your clutch disengages when you pull the lever, cable and arm. The arm rotates the pinion shaft, which pulls the pressure plate out, freeing the plates.

Remove the pressure plate and pull out the metal and fiber discs. Check the outer hub for chatter marks made by the discs, check the discs and reassmble correctly. You can replace that leaky seal while you're in there.

I'm concerned the "loose" remark. Be sure and check that. And the big nut on the clutch basket.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T,

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to take this clutch work on. It's all part of the GS experence I wanted. Have you ever removed the pinion shaft bearing? Is it easy to remove?

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g

Comment

CG

Never worked on the pinion shaft, so I can't say

Tip: Manuver your bike near the garage wall and lean it up against the wall in gear, so it's tipped over 20 degrees or so. Then you don't have to drain the oil, but stuff something into every hole so washers and etc don't fall into the crankcase.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The bearings are pressed in so you need some type of puller. I'd make one. Threaded or something that goes through the bearing and grabs.

Use heat or some type of canned cold. Heat surrounding the bearing or cold on the bearing.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X