GS750 Rear Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Rear Shocks

Looks like i need new rear shocks for my 79 GS 750, they look pretty worn. I've got an 84 nighthawk 700s rolling chassis that has a decent rear suspension that i would like to try and put on the zuki. I noticed the gs's rear shocks have the overlap system where the shocks mount overtop of the mount on the frame, where the bolt goes through the shock, the frame and back out of the shock, whereas the nighthawk's shock just bolts right onto the frame mount. Will there be a problem in this change of mounting? Can anyone give me any tips on making the change? thanks in advance.

edit: also, the nighthawk shocks are 15" and the gs's are 13" will a 2" lift hurt anything or change the handling?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 04:27 AM.

You can't change it...

2" is too much lift at the rear in my opinion. It will have a huge affect on handling / steering.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

First, 2" lift in the back will make the bike dangerously twitchy. Im running just a 1" longer shock, and while it doesnt feel dangerous at all, it definately speeds up the steering a bit. Id imagine that 2" would be downright scary. Not to mention the fact that the bike would look awfully silly (imagine one of those old Ford Torinos the guys used to jack the rear end way up in the air on) going down the road, as well as put alot more weight forward on the front suspension. Not good in a panic stop.

Also, the shocks on your bike are "eye to clevis" style mounts, whereas the nighthawk, by your description, Im assuming are "eye to eye' mount. This wont work on your bike, trying to run a bolt through the eye on the other end will likely result in it being sheared off by side load forces, and then you'd be in big trouble too..

If you need some new cheapy shocks, Id suggest MDI's. They're a little on the stiffly sprung side, but theyre not too bad for $80.

Then if you want even better, but STILL not going crazy, Progressives can be found on ebay from time to time pretty cheap in used, good condition. I just bought a set a month or so ago for $35! I wouldnt have bought them, except no one else bid on them, and heck, they're near $3-400 new!

TCK

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, i will probably look into mdi but would like to get progressive's will probably just save up some green and go with the latter

Comment

Working...
        X