Hit the wall on this project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit the wall on this project.

Despite my best intentions of getting my Kat project finished up by April 30, I have hit the wall and run out of steam. Now admittedly I have had other projects on the go including house renos,mentoring a new rider and helping her sort out her new bike but I just can't get myself back into it. I'm close, but the interest is not really there.

I've done a little bit of riding as well and am really looking forward to more but I know I have to get this project completed in order for me to have the time to ride. Its somewhat of a vicious circle. I want to ride but when I am I feel bad that I'm not working the project. The real sad thing is ( and it maybe the cause of my procrastination) I don't really have interest in this bike and am not keen on even riding it. In hindsight, I should have just held out for the 1000 or 1100 I really wanted.

I've hit the wall before on other projects and will get beyond it I know but for now I'm feeling crappy about the whole thing.

Any of you folks get like this too?

Cheers,
    Spyug

Sure...

Sure, it happens to everybody. Step away for a little bit, let your mind rest, I usually have to let stuff sit for awhile so I can figure out a problem with the project. Right now I am fighting POs wiring solutions, and attempting to smooth old beat up tank for paint, ugh... Relax a little, look at some of the other projects being finnished by members here, the inspriration will return... Sometimes I just force myself to a hour every couple of days on it so I can see progress.. That helps..

This is six months of progress, should be done by mid summer.. What really hurts is the fact the bike will never bring what I will have in it.. Probably the last old GS I do, going back to salvage repair on newer machines..
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Sure...
      Before I picked up my 1100E, I bought a '82 750E and started working on it thinking I'd get it done in a hurry...not to be.
      Got the 1100E running and kind of forgot about the 750...
      Went to work on the 750 again this past winter and got closer, but now it's riding season, so she goes back to the back of the garage...

I really have no interest in riding the 750...I just want to get it done to sell it...
      I'll get more if it is a road ready bike...and I've already bought most of the parts I need..so...it waits.
      There will be another winter...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

You're not the only one old mate .

I've got my 'S in bits all over the floor of my shed at the moment . My "wall" is the machine shop that's boring the barrels and finishing the head . There's lots of other stuff that I could be doing while I wait (and wait) , but I can't seem to get going .

When I get everything back , I'll slam to the other extreme and live in the cave till she's done .

Go and have a couple of beers . Do some other stuff and the "feeling" will come back .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Yup.. same boat..

I've finished fixing the PO wiring nightmare, got the wheel bearings replaced carbs rebult, forks replaced, seat recovered, rear sets on, new bars mounted, new tires, and now I'm facing the part I've been avoiding.. The gas tank!

the rear mounting tab is broken off.. I can't quite decide how to tackle it so I haven't been doing anything.. Sucks because it's really the last thing before it'll run!

Comment

I agree with Ponderosa--take a break and look at what other members are doing--should give you some motivation--I keep at least 2 bikes at all times--1 to ride and 1 to work on--I can't decide which I like better--riding or wrenching!

Comment

Spyug mate I know exactly how you feel.
              I got my 1000 'cause the price was right and I started with a hiss and a roar, but more than once I have wished I waited for the 'right' bike. If I had I wouldn't be on this forum
              Anyway you have a bike that lots of people like and you are doing a great job on it. Maybe when you finish it you can sell it and get the 'right' bike....

Comment

Originally posted by knowyourenemy66 View Post
                -I keep at least 2 bikes at all times--1 to ride and 1 to work on--I can't decide which I like better--riding or wrenching!
                I tried that but I broke my 1 to ride.. Now I have 3 to work on

Comment

I'm there now with my 750.... bought it cheap three years ago as a beater, and I just rode it in the condition it was in. I decided to fix the bike up since she just refuses to die no matter how much I beat on her I've been working on it nonstop since february, but I still have a lot to do. I love wrenching on bikes, but I'm just about sick of working on it... I'm lucky enough though that it has always been a running bike since I bought it, so even if I have it in pieces for a few days or a week here and there, when I put it back together I can ride her even if she's not "finished"

Comment

Change the name at the top and i could have started this thread, Spyug.
                    Projects have over-whelmed me on a number of occasions.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I too have ups and downs. Life sometimes gets in the way, work, family, you name it. The summer heat last Summer really hit me with being burned out, litterally out of the garage, and then the Winter holidays. Just too much going on.

This project on the 700E has been going on over a year now, but I'm pleased with the accomplishment thus far.

What I started doing was dedicating at least 1 hour a day. Usually small tasks in the week, larger ones on the weekend or day off. Even if it just meant going a staring at the bike in the garage for an hour. I would pick up a towel, wipe, and dream a bit of my next task.

Polishing all the aluminum was a real struggle. It was not just a one day or one week job. Maybe it could have been, but the method I chose took longer. Happy with the results, out of the way now, just need to keep moving.

But, yea, I'm guilty of loosing interest for a bit here and there.

Here is one thing that motivated me the other day. It was around 9PM or 10PM, windows were open, laying in the bed, and I could hear the sweet sound of a bike with a headder in the distance. Not the usual "rap, rap, rap" through the gears from a stop light. These were slow long runs up the State Hwy at wide open throttle. RPMs sounded like they were rising from low-mid to peak redline in 4th gear, and then...... silence. Then it would fire up and limp back to the garage.

Plug Chops BEBE!

The first night I heard this there was some stutter in the sound in the beginning of the wind up, next time it was a little clearer, but still some studdering around red line.

Last time I heard this it sounded real sweet.

I'm next, I said.

Dang-it, I'm going back in the garage to stare for a few minutes.

E

Comment

Originally posted by tejasmud View Post

RPMs sounded like they were rising from low-mid to peak redline in 4th gear, and then...... silence. Then it would fire up and limp back to the garage.

Plug Chops BEBE!
                        That's some serious inspiration.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          That's some serious inspiration.
                          seriously.... Just reading that made me wanna go out to the garage right now at 3 in the morning

Comment

Stay strong guys, as you know these GS' are relics and often just getting them going and operating safely is a labor of love. Who will love these old bikes if we don't? But once they are road worthy, they sure are fun. I have thought about doing a complete restore on my 78 750, but I'm not going to do it. I'm going to get it safe, road worthy and spend a little time primping and polishing so it does'nt look like a roach (like I found it from the PO). After that, I'll be putting my face in the wind.

Max

Comment

Yea, good point...

Yea, you have a good point, my machine is a combination of two machines, the engine was from a bike that sat in a backyard for twenty years, and the frame was from a bike that was trashed hard, then sat for ten. I have a soft place for them, but my pocketbook is not bottomless..OUCH...

Comment

Working...
                              X