Explain the tire types to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explain the tire types to me?

Ok, 83 GS1100E. My first real street bike. I know nothing of streetbike tires and I am going to need tires soon. It currently has Metzler ME880's in 130-90-17 on the rear and metzler on the front as well. Front is in good shape but not afraid to buy matching set. The outsides on the rear are starting to cup some? What cause this?

Details. Me...270 lbs. Bike has stock suspension as far as I know. I did find a spacer in the front forks when I rebuilt them. Also replaced the chain. Bike only bottoms if I hit a real big dip/pothole combo and then only the rear.

I ride mostly back roads and so far really love the twisties. I have about 750 mile on the bike in 4 weeks and here is what I notice.

Straight aways and highways... 75 is max due to wind. Bike seems real stable. Maybe some vibrations from what feels like tires out of balance? Not related to engine RPM.

I do not enter curves extremely aggressive, but once in and have a good line, I enjoy getting out as fast as I can! Noticed that on my last trip on some side roads that I have about 3/8" virgin rubber.

I take it that 130-90-17 is not a modern size and see a lot of bias ply tires for sale in that size? Are their any trade offs from running a softer tire besides tire life? Currently the bike seems very stable and corners pretty good.

What do we have as far as tire choices for the older GS's?

Hi,

If I may, I would suggest using the search feature to find out about what the community thinks about tires.

Look on the blue line above, click "Search". Then click "Advanced Search". From that screen you can choose to search "Titles Only" and/or inside specific sections of the forum. There are a lot of opinions and information instantly available.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Avon Front or Rear AM26 Roadrider 100/90V-19 Blackwall Tire

Avon Rear AM26 Roadrider 130/90V-17 Blackwall Tire

Double check those sizes, I'm pretty sure it is 17" in the rear.

You could do much worse ; these are a sporty well wearing tire that will carry alot of tire pressure which is very benefical for handling.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
        Ok, 83 GS1100E. My first real street bike. I know nothing of streetbike tires and I am going to need tires soon. It currently has Metzler ME880's in 130-90-17 on the rear and metzler on the front as well. Front is in good shape but not afraid to buy matching set. The outsides on the rear are starting to cup some? What cause this?
        Depending on the tread pattern, it might be normal. Is it really "cupping" or is it "sawtoothing", where every tread block is worn at an angle?

Although the front tire appears to be in good shape, check the date. Look for the DOT code on one sidewall and look at the last block, there should be three or four numbers in a block by themselves. If there are three numbers, replace the tire. No questions asked. That tire was made before 2000. If there are four digits, the first two are the number of the week, the last two are the year, so a 3807 would have been made in the 38th week of 2007.

Details. Me...270 lbs. Bike has stock suspension as far as I know. I did find a spacer in the front forks when I rebuilt them. Also replaced the chain. Bike only bottoms if I hit a real big dip/pothole combo and then only the rear.
        Sounds about right, but will you ever carry a passenger? Have you adjusted the preload on the rear shocks? Either way, the damping is probably shot, you will do well to get some new shocks.

Straight aways and highways... 75 is max due to wind. Bike seems real stable. Maybe some vibrations from what feels like tires out of balance? Not related to engine RPM.
        If you can only get 75 mph out of your bike, there is something seriously WRONG.

The vibrations you feel can be from your tires "cupping", if they are not related to engine RPM, as you say.

I take it that 130-90-17 is not a modern size and see a lot of bias ply tires for sale in that size?
        Not sure what you mean by "modern size". Yes, it has been around for a while, but it's still readily available with a decent selection.
        Oh, bias-ply is what you are looking for. Your wheels are not wide enough to properly support radials.

Are their any trade offs from running a softer tire besides tire life? Currently the bike seems very stable and corners pretty good.
        Shorter tire life is the primary trade-off. On the other hand, even the longer-lasting "touring" type tires will offer just about as much traction, probably up to the actual limits of the motorcycle. All depends on your riding style and willingness to constantly change tires. Also depends on how much you ride. If you only do a few thousand miles a year, the 4-5,000 miles you get on a set of softer tires is not so bad, because it's one set a year. In the last 12 months, I have ridden my bike over 27,000 miles, so I can't imagine going through 5 or 6 sets of tires in the process.

What do we have as far as tire choices for the older GS's?
        A quick search of the archives will turn up hundreds of threads on this subject, so I will let you do that.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve! Sorry BassCliff... did not think about searching titles only. Just searched this forum for tires and got A LOT of stuff to weed through.

I did search and found a lot of info, just not much explanations of tire types.

75 is not max, not from a mechanical standpoint but from a wind standpoint, 80 or above and being broad shouldered stocky guy it is like a billboard! Vibrations are not severe or inducing shake etc. Maybe just me learning the bike

Sawtoothing is a better description. Is this normal?

So bias ply is ok
          Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Sawtoothing is a better description. Is this normal?

So bias ply is ok
            Sawtoothing is somewhat normal, depending on the size and shape of the tread blocks and your inflation pressures.
            Proper pressure will keep it to a minimum, but be aware that it will still be there.

Bias ply is not only OK, it's the only way to go for your bike.

If you look closely, you can see the saw-toothing on my Wing tires. Yes, it can happen to any of them.

Last edited by Steve; 04-26-2010, 05:24 PM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry BassCliff... did not think about searching titles only.
              Bah! No need to apologize. I just get lazy sometimes and don't want to type a lot when it has already been discussed. But I try to be helpful. Hopefully I have helped to enable you to use the search function better.

Sometimes after searching I still have questions. But at least I know what questions to ask, and what not to ask.

Did you decide on tires yet?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I currently have the Metzler ME88 which seems to be doing a great job when I pay attention to air pressure.

The other 3 I am looking at are"

Avon Roadrider
                Pirelli sprt Demon
                and Bridgestone Battle ax

Comment

I replaced my GS's Dunlop 501s with the Avon Roadriders last season. I found them a vast improvement AFA feel and traction, although the 501s were also dangerously old. I have been told that the Sport Demons offer a bit more traction at the cost of tire life, being a slightly softer compound. My GPz will get a set of the Sport Demons, since traction is the most important feature I want for that bike. IDK about the BattleAx tires.
                  BTW, the sizes you are looking at are correct for your bike.

Comment

I recently ordered some Shinko 230's for my most recent project bike. These tires are bias ply but they also have an aramid "belt" which is a nice feature, and somewhat unusual (the belt is a circumferential fiber ply that helps stabilize the tread and increase tire life by reducing carcass flexing under the tread area of the tire). I haven't run these tires yet but word of mouth on them is good, and they only cost $118 delivered from Motorcycle Super Store (or something like this).
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                    X