Just got started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got started

I got back a little over a week ago and my wife let me tear into the gs650 project yesterday. I took a before picture, and a picture after a couple days of sanding, filling and washing painting and more sanding. I plan to black out the bike and have used heat transferring paint for the engine. I may do a deep metallic red tank and side covers as the missus loves red.

I took it apart, and then also took the carbs and cleaned them. I can start it, but it doesn't stay running. once I get everything cleaned up and the way I want it I'll start to trouble shoot the problems again. from what I can tell it's not going to be anything major. when I go on leave in a week or so I am picking up a parts bike to complete the parts that need replaced. BikeCliff's info has been invaluable. if you're new on here definitely look there before asking. I almost went to the forums several times when putting things back together, but found my answers in the info already posted.

Bottom line as you guys can see I may just be able to bring this thing back from the dead. There's dust on the engine casings as I don't have a bench in the garage to sand on so I used the bike frame as one. I'm going to keep the suzuki labels off of it as I like a cleaner look rather than the brand all over the place. Sanding on the bike part while it's on the frame is a little shade-tree I know, but I didn't have a choice. Be gentle guys lol.

Here's the before picture:

Here's the bike after the weekend working on it.

Good luck, I just started my 650 project this weekend...because my wife was out of town!

by the way...i can't see your photos( ninja edit: photos working now)
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 06:30 PM. Reason: photos fixed

Comment

Originally posted by texaninseattle View Post
      Good luck, I just started my 650 project this weekend...because my wife was out of town!

by the way...i can't see your photos
      let me check the photos. hold on.

*edit*
      ok I accidentally posted the album as private. should work now

Comment

the cool thing about my wife is she is wholeheartedly on board with the project. she just doesnt like the time spent. but she was out there holding the flashlight for me when the main fuel line got disconnected between the #2 and #3 carb while I cussed and twisted my hand because I was too stubborn to take stuff apart again. she's awesome :-)

Comment

you missed the side reflector...i can still see it

Comment

safety first right?

Comment

Actaully i'm glad your posted those pics, I was wondering what mine would look like with black engine and forks...i like it...i think i'll keep my exhaust chrome though.

Comment

I played with keeping it chrome, versus wrapping it, versus coating it. I did one side blacked out, and then polished the other side. in the end i think it looked a little meaner with the black exhaust. one thing i did notice is how small the handlebars feel. since this is my first suzuki, maybe it's just because I'm used to how wide the honda ones are. the lighting doesnt do it justice though. once I clean the sanding dust off I'll take some pictures outside to try to get a better look. I did leave some chrome accents unaltered though.

Comment

It's good here , eh .

It must be international 650 year . I've recently started to build one (out of two) for my wife . I don't really know which way to go with it yet . It's got a black frame and a chain though , just like a real one .

As it (they) came (with big sister) ........

And so far..............

I'll be watching you , so be warned .

Stay in touch old mate .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

well it looks like you have lots more experience than i do, but keep an eye on me and make sure i dont do anything stupid! LOL ;-) it quit raining and I pulled it out of the garage. here's a better picture.

closer view in better light

Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Another 650

It must be the year for the GS 650. I pulled my '82 650GL out of the corner of the garage a few weeks ago. Took it apart four years ago cause it wouldn't idle...then set it aside. Two days later...the house burned...so I haven't thought much about motorcycling for a while. Got the fever bad this spring...and decided to be thorough....so now it's all over the garage!

I'll be watching you guys.....so i can steal your ideas. Also....I posted a thread in the 'want-ads'.....need a carb float bowl. I'd be grateful to find one cheap.

Keith

Comment

I know how the house burning thing is my family had that happen around christmas time about 5 or 6 years ago. I'll keep my eye out for another float bowl. Those kinds of odds and ends parts always show up on craigslist. which carb set do you have?

Comment

did you do anything to the chrome bits so that the black paint will stay on?

Comment

oh yeah. I sanded it rough, then solvent, then sanded smooth, then solvent, then high temp heat transfering high temp satin paint

Comment

Originally posted by irishguy1978 View Post
                              ... she is wholeheartedly on board with the project. she just doesnt like the time spent.
                              Hah! I've been there.

Project looks good.

I also have major garage envy on Simon.

Comment

Working...
                              X