Wheels for a 1982 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels for a 1982 GS1100E

What wheels or swingarm/wheel combo can I put on my 1982 GS1100E to give it a wider tire? The stock tire just looks so small from behind and I would like to something wider under that rear fender. I don't really want it to be any longer (the swingarm I mean). I am looking for something that involve to much work and effort to put in. I want to be able to maintain my rear shocks and such.

So what is available?

Thanks,

Rob

Originally posted by mach1970 View Post
    What wheels or swingarm/wheel combo can I put on my 1982 GS1100E to give it a wider tire? The stock tire just looks so small from behind and I would like to something wider under that rear fender. I don't really want it to be any longer (the swingarm I mean). I am looking for something that involve to much work and effort to put in. I want to be able to maintain my rear shocks and such.

So what is available?

Thanks,

Rob
    Most anything up to 180/55-17 will fit in the stock swingarm. The problem is getting a radial tire to match in front. That requires fork changes.

The simplest thing to do get a GS1150 (3 spoke) rear wheel that I think you can go with a 150/70-17 on rear and a GS1100ED (83) front (3 spoke) that will swap right out for your 82 6 spoke (snow flake) front. Some good bias play sport tires like Avon would work well.

Comment

A little more trouble is to go to 1st Gen GSXR rear wheel but stay with the bias ply tires. The 86-87 GSXR 750's are 3.5x18" The 86-87 GSXR 1100's are 4x18" (will carry a 160/60-18)

Comment

I would add that with the 1150 rear wheel, You'll need some sort of spacers/washers to get the offset for the brake just right. The 1150 HUB is a little narrower than the 1100 stock wheel's hub. But a couple of hardware store washers will space it out just right. Its just a couple millimeters.

Comment

I have an 86 gsxr 750 rear with a 160 on it. Fits between the swingarms fine but it looks a little to wide for the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            I have an 86 gsxr 750 rear with a 160 on it. Fits between the swingarms fine but it looks a little to wide for the wheel.
            You need an 86 GSXR 1100 wheel for that 160... Your wheel is 3.5 inches, the 1100 is 4. takes a 160 much better. Might drop back to a 150 on yours

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              You need an 86 GSXR 1100 wheel for that 160... Your wheel is 3.5 inches, the 1100 is 4. takes a 160 much better. Might drop back to a 150 on yours
              Yeah the 140 depending on the aspect ratio looks to thin, the 150 might look god in a 60-65.

Comment

Would it be safe to assume that the 1100 gsxr wheels bolt up to the 750 gsxr hassle free?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Would it be safe to assume that the 1100 gsxr wheels bolt up to the 750 gsxr hassle free?
                  I think that is a straighht swap; you might want to check the compatability guide at gixxer.com though

Comment

Its a direct swap. Apparently the GSXR guys do it all the time..

Comment

Working...
                    X