Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

noobie with a new bike. is there anyone that sells a rebuild"kit"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noobie with a new bike. is there anyone that sells a rebuild"kit"?

i own a '98 intruder 1400 in excellent shape ans was lookin for a project bike when i came across an,82 gs750. it is tore down and has basically a rolling shassis and 2 motors, both '82 750's. i am gonna start with tearin down the motor and rebuilding it as i am not sure of the condition internally. so, does anyone know if there is some place that sells rebuild"kits" for the motor that would have all of the basic parts, something like i have purchased many time before for automotive engines???

No one that I know of sells a rebuild kit. most of the time you tear the engine down, measure the components for wear, order the worn or damaged components and the necessary gaskets, then re-assemble it.

But the real question is, do you even need to tear into the engine? more often than not the answer will be no.

what problems do you think the engine may have which would make you want to tear it apart? or, is it something that might be needed because it being a high mileage engine? (example...100K'ish miles)
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. tomsteve,

You can get gasket sets fairly easily. Some folks like the Athena brand, others the Vesra brand. Either way, for critical seals you should use Suzuki OEM gaskets, like for the base gasket and head gasket. Rings and such are also available OEM or aftermarket. You'll find a list of vendors in your "mega-welcome". Let's get to it...

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

80-82 750's have rod bearing issues or lack there of

Comment

I'd just go ahead and do a rebuild, better safe than sorry.
          You could put plenty of hours getting the motor in, hooking everything up, fire the motor up and find out it's got shot rings/rusted rings or head leak or something else you can't see on the outside.

I mean it's probably unlikely.....but still.

If the motors already out....it's a piece of cake to tear it down from there.
          A lot of guys on here will probably tell you to just drop the motor in and start it, and they act like the motors are perfect.....fact is, they do get oil leaks and problems from 30 years of sitting or neglect.....just like any other car or bike.

I say rebuild it while it's already out, unless you're in some sort of hurry to ride it,lol.

I think rebuilds are a tad pricey though....isn't it atleast $100 or more for rings?

babbittsonline seems to have a giant inventory of parts for bikes, they exploded views and lists of nearly all parts on a lot of these GS bikes....at least they have for me.
          (i did have a small problem with them when ordering 4 idle jets, they only sent me 3 and said 1 was on back order and never heard back from them, dunno what that was about, but I got everything else I ordered.)

Comment

yeah, i'm not lookin to put the motor in, spend the time finding all of the necessary parts i dont have, then find out the motor has problems. pretty much gonna do a bit of a restoration. i want to get it in excellent shape. not in no hurry. like stated, a project bike.
            thanks for all of the replies and i will definately be takin the advise. gonna build an engine stand tomorrow and get workin on it. gettin the frame all tore down so i can media blast it this weekend, then new paint on it and go from there.

Comment

I would call it a refurbish rather than a rebuild. Replace seals and gaskets, check out the rings and bearings/bushings, etc. Not a bad idea, and it will give you a good idea of your starting point.

Comment

one more reason for wanting to rebuild is the amount of silicone oozing out from anywhere there is a gasket. already took off the valve/cam cover and there was quite a bit of silicone in there. i'm not a big fan of silicone for gaskets

Comment

Working...
                X