Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another stator question

Hi guys!

I went through several threads on this, and did a search also ...I believe I have the answer but just not sure.....electrics just not my area but I'm trying. Okay here goes, I was checking the charging on my 82 gs1100gk, not charging,with new battery. Go to the stator papers and start to test the stator voltage output find that two legs are putting out 60 plus volts the other one only putting out 1.2 volts., so I figure I will need a new stator, today I go out and start cleaning all the connections in the fuse box area +cable - cable all the fuses etc r/r connectors you get the idea, put it all back together to make sure I have everything back in its place I fire the bike up starts just fine but here is the real question, I'm feeling the stator wires and I notice one is very very hot can't really even touch it, it's the green/w that goes into the w/blue the other two wires are okay, this happens only while running, I can shut off then just turn to on positon all power on but not running, and it cools down. I never noticed this before but I really didn't handle that area. while running. Can the stator cause this or did I maybe put something back together in the wrong area? By the way this an all original bike still has the original stator according to the color coding of the wires. Sorry for the long posting.

Originally posted by jwebfournow View Post
    Hi guys!

I went through several threads on this, and did a search also ...I believe I have the answer but just not sure.....electrics just not my area but I'm trying. Okay here goes, I was checking the charging on my 82 gs1100gk, not charging,with new battery. Go to the stator papers and start to test the stator voltage output find that two legs are putting out 60 plus volts the other one only putting out 1.2 volts., so I figure I will need a new stator, today I go out and start cleaning all the connections in the fuse box area +cable - cable all the fuses etc r/r connectors you get the idea, put it all back together to make sure I have everything back in its place I fire the bike up starts just fine but here is the real question, I'm feeling the stator wires and I notice one is very very hot can't really even touch it, it's the green/w that goes into the w/blue the other two wires are okay, this happens only while running, I can shut off then just turn to on positon all power on but not running, and it cools down. I never noticed this before but I really didn't handle that area. while running. Can the stator cause this or did I maybe put something back together in the wrong area? By the way this an all original bike still has the original stator according to the color coding of the wires. Sorry for the long posting.
    clean connector with corroded crimps does nothing but get hot. Generally recommended to solder the stator directly to the R/R

Comment

Hi,

From what you describe, you may still have one leg of your stator connected to a loop of wire that goes up to the (probably non-existent) headlight switch. What you want to do is connect the three stator output wires directly to the three r/r input wires. Cover the ends of the useless loop of wire with something (electrical tape or shrink tubing) and tuck it out of the way. Make sure all of your electrical connections and grounds on the entire wiring harness are clean and in good repair.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Howdy

Okay so when I pulled the 3 stator wires from their connections I had a g/w going into a w/b, yellow went into another yellow and the other stator wire went into the other w/b connector, I haven't replaced the stator yet I just reconnected the wires the way I took them apart.then proceeded to start cleaning the fuse block area r/r connections etc until I get a new stator. After that I started it up and noticed it being hot hot hot. So what I think your saying is after I replace the stator, wire the 3 wires from the stator directly to the 3 wires from the r/r? Then cover the 3 wires that the stator previously connected to? those would be 2 w/b and 1 yellow. I think I need another coffee to clear the cobwebs out. And mind you these are still the bullet style connections.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebfournow View Post
          Howdy

Okay so when I pulled the 3 stator wires from their connections I had a g/w going into a w/b, yellow went into another yellow and the other stator wire went into the other w/b connector, I haven't replaced the stator yet I just reconnected the wires the way I took them apart.then proceeded to start cleaning the fuse block area r/r connections etc until I get a new stator. After that I started it up and noticed it being hot hot hot. So what I think your saying is after I replace the stator, wire the 3 wires from the stator directly to the 3 wires from the r/r? Then cover the 3 wires that the stator previously connected to? those would be 2 w/b and 1 yellow. I think I need another coffee to clear the cobwebs out. And mind you these are still the bullet style connections.
          Yes direct connect is the standard recommendation

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but what the heck is the black square box next to the battey, I thought it was the r/r but according to pics on Bass's site the r/r shouild have fins on it. The black box sits directly behind the fuse block on my bike. Like I said before a newby here for sure.

Comment

The black box is the ignitor for the ignition system.

Comment

Working...
              X