Clutch problems, bad slip at anything above 3k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch problems, bad slip at anything above 3k

Well i bought an 83 gs1100e and got it running great. Its a blast to ride and alot of fun. I planned on dragracing it once and a while at the local track. Today i was out on an old highway practicing my launches, and after the second launch the clutch started slipping really bad at anything above 3-4k rpm. The clutch doesnt make any noises at all. First thing i did was check all adjusters on case and handlebars and they look fine. Checked oil and that looked fine. So i pulled the cover and noticed that around the outside of the outer basket there were some rubbing/grinding marks. I pulled all the plates and they look good but the aluminum sleeves on the inside of the clutch springs that the clutch spring bolts slide into have deep grooves in them from the springs rubbing against them. What should i be looking for? Is this common?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2010, 12:38 AM.

basket rubbing/grinding is from a long bolt in a short hole.
    the spring spacers get beat up from the springs...normal.
    if this bike does not have a H/D backing plate kit installed on the back side of the basket then maybe the clutch slipping was a good thing.
    if you want to do it right and keep your engine from getting ventilated then pull your entire clutch side all the way back to the engine cases and get your camera ready...
    post back with pictures.
    this is where you start.
    if the bike is going to be ran hard...
    any other option for you will result in a damaged/ruined engine and other internal parts and maybe a skinned a$$ from oil getting on the rear tire from the case getting holed.

Comment

That wear sounds normal, but not necessarly good. Standard procedure is to measure the thickness of the fiber plates and compare to the standard (replace them as necessary), get new springs, and rough up the metal discs. If those things don't get it done, time to replace the friction plates since they tend to get hard with age and sometimes lack bite.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

what do you mean the rubbing is from a long bolt in a short hole??? the rubbing can be noticed around the outside of the outer basket. As of now i have it apart to just the outer basket left in. Are you recommending that i pull the whole basket because i will see damage once i get it off??? Do you really think new springs and fiber plates will fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by kzjordan View Post
          what do you mean the rubbing is from a long bolt in a short hole??? the rubbing can be noticed around the outside of the outer basket. As of now i have it apart to just the outer basket left in. Are you recommending that i pull the whole basket because i will see damage once i get it off??? Do you really think new springs and fiber plates will fix this?
          What he (blowerbike) is saying is that the 82/83 GS1100E's have a penchant for blowing their baskets to pieces. That is, the backing plate (riveted to the back of the clutch basket, loaded with springs to help cushion the side loading forces of the helical gearset these bikes were fitted with) springs get loose, and eventually, you grab a hand full of clutch, rack it into the next gear at redline, and let the clutch out and BOOOOOOOOM the backing plate explodes, launching your clutch basket, and other bits, into your crank, probably blowing a hole out the side of your cases, dumping oil all over the rear wheel, and you end up on your ass in the middle of the road, or the strip, wondering WTF just happened.

Usually, these baskets will warn you before this happens by making a bunch of racket as the springs loosen. Or you can check the fatigue of the springs by measuring them, and also checking how much your backing plate moves when you try to turn it against the basket.

The fix, recommended for everyone who 'runs their 1100E hard', even occasionally (cmon, its 27+ years old after all) is to have the backing plate replaced with a Heavy Duty model. This involves sending it off to one of numerous places to have the old removed, a new installed and the rivets WELDED to keep them tight.. the cost? Around $300 bucks.. The benefit? Your bike lives forever, as far as the clutch basket goes, and you dont end up dead..

Comment

thank you for clearing that up. Do you think this is what is happening to my gs, does it sound like its getting ready to blow? Im still unclear about the long bolt in small hole part

Comment

One more thing worth mentioning, is to pay attention to what oil you run...using oil with the dreaded 'friction modifiers' in it will also cause slippage...once that stuff impregnates your plates, they will have to be changed. In my case, simply throwing in a new set of OEM Suzuki springs, and scuffing up the steels worked...I would previously get a little slippage at 7 grand or so, from tired springs starting to head south.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

thats what i was hoping was the problem but i get bad slippage as little as 3-4k and thats when i began to think it was much more serious. i got it up to 40 in 5th gear and decided to just pull over and go load it up

Comment

If the bike is new to you and you're not familiar with it's history, you will have to tackle issues systematically, if/when they arise....if the drive plates mic up within spec, just order a new set of springs, scuff up the steels, re-adjust the cable exactly as per the manual and try it....maybe the clutch was already on it's way out, and your hard launches accelerated it's demise.....but worth trying the above before throwing new parts at it, IMHO. If not sure when the oil & filter was last changed, might as well do this too, so you know what you're running. My $0.02.
                  '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                  Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Check the basket and inner hub for deep notches form the fiber tangs. If they are really deep it hangs up the clutch.
                    DO NOT race this bike without getting a HD backing plate on the clutch hub. Check Ebay after the race season is over for good hubs or send yours off to APE or Stan Gardner or get a billet basket with the HD backing plate.
                    blowerbike is quite tounge and cheek but he's been around these bikes for many years and he's telling you if you race this bike with the stock clutch BOOM!
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Here's a thread that may be helpful. Thank you Mr. bonanzadave!

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i speak the truth.
                        he said (drag race)folks.
                        he was already doing hole shots.
                        follow on this jordon.
                        the clutch cover bolt right behind the ign. cover...centered.
                        its a through hole and the bolt that goes there is a special length and should of had a rubber washer on it.
                        when someone installs a longer bolt in that hole....
                        it goes into the clutch area and rubs the outside of the basket.
                        get it now?

Comment

why is it that every link a person post for this site comes back with an error just like the problems i had several weeks ago.

404 Not Found
                          The server can not find the requested page:

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...d.php?t=125593 (port 80)
                          Please forward this error screen to www.thegsresources.com's WebMaster.
                          Last edited by blowerbike; 04-27-2010, 02:06 AM. Reason: GRRRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            i speak the truth.
                            he said (drag race)folks.
                            he was already doing hole shots.
                            follow on this jordon.
                            the clutch cover bolt right behind the ign. cover...centered.
                            its a through hole and the bolt that goes there is a special length and should of had a rubber washer on it.
                            when someone installs a longer bolt in that hole....
                            it goes into the clutch area and rubs the outside of the basket.
                            get it now?
                            Hell even I get it now!

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                            why is it that every link a person post for this site comes back with an error just like the problems i had several weeks ago.

404 Not Found
                            The server can not find the requested page:

www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=125593 (port 80)
                            Please forward this error screen to www.thegsresources.com's WebMaster.
                            The black hole called Ohio.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Hell even I get it now!

The black hole called Ohio.
                              there is nothing wrong with black holes
                              HEY,
                              your a buckeye transplant man!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X