Overcharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcharging

I'm having an issue. My bike is overcharging I found this out when i went to start the bike about two weeks ago and the battery was dry. So after refilling and recharging the battery i checked the charging voltage found it at 18v. i checked the R/R and it was bad and also had green corossion coming out of it. I bought a new electrosport R/R and installed it on my bike. still overcharges. checked the voltage drop across the positive and negitive from the battery to the R/R, while it wasn't high i still decided to run new power and ground from the battery to the R/R. still overcharging. i went through the flow chart once again. the stator is puting out 85v ac on all three wires at 5000 rpm the on the R/R test it passes. it tells me to check all connections wich i replaced with new connections. I'm completely stumped!

Check your connections again. Your stator is good but the R/R is not moderating the charging voltage like it should. I suggest bypassing all the factory wiring and wiring the stator directly into the R/R, and then take the R/R outputs and split them - put one ground to the frame and another to the battery, and take one positive and go to the factory harness and run another to the battery + terminal with a 15A fuse in-line. If that doesn't work you got a bad R/R. I don't normally hook up my bikes with just one + wire feeding the power to the battery but some people around here feel the power should be split (which can't hurt).
    Last edited by Nessism; 04-27-2010, 08:51 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by pistolpete View Post
      checked the voltage drop across the positive and negitive from the battery to the R/R, while it wasn't high i still decided to run new power and ground from the battery to the R/R.
      what are these voltages at 5000 RPM?

Comment

positive from the battery to the R/R was .264v and the negitive was .233v and the stator is already wired direct to the R/R.

Comment

The only time I have seen this before (twice) is with a broken RR & both times it was on the 83GS750ES!

It gets worse over time... one started at 15-16v & ended up at 19v as the guy rode it a bit more the other I got to when it was still at 15.xv

Seems to be a problem with the RR on that model. It's tiny! Similar to the 82 GS850 etc. I would exchange your new RR for another one or get yourself an FH010 FET or similar. You could also use one of the much bigger earlier RR's from a GS1000 of around 1980 vintage. I have a couple of those that are tested good if you want one to try.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

With those low voltages across the R/R to Battery on both sides it means you have good connection between battery and R/R. As Ed suggested as well , I would add a ground to the frame (single point as shown in my linky). That should be charging correctly and if it is not the R/R is not operating properly. Not sure why two back to back R/R would fail unless something is knocking them out.

Dan,
            Sounds like only one of the R/R's was OEM; I'm assuming the Electrosport was normally sized.

Jim

Comment

Those voltage readings were from the stock wiring to the R/R, I just ran new wires for curiosities sake. The electrosport one that i installed was part#esr130. I tried to call them but i just got an answering machine. I left a message with my phone number but they haven't call ed me back. I also ran a redundent ground from the R/R to the frame and still same problem.

Comment

I'm convinced it's an RR fault... send that one back to electrosport for a refund. It's way overpriced for what you get anyway, there are other better ones to be had cheaper 2nd hand such as the Honda RR that Duanage on here sells ready to go for $40 or follow some of the rest of us with a modern FET RR from a Kawasaki Concourse or similar.

Dan
                Last edited by salty_monk; 04-27-2010, 04:52 PM.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  I'm convinced it's an RR fault... send that one back to electrosport for a refund. It's way overpriced for what you get anyway, there are other better ones to be had cheaper 2nd hand such as the Honda RR that Duanage on here sells ready to go for $40 or follow some of the rest of us with a modern FET RR from a Kawasaki Concourse or similar.

Dan
                  sure sounds like the R/R is bad. Get a Honda or the FET.

BTW you said you check across the connections, I had bad crimps before with an electrosport R/R; the wires just pulled out.

Comment

Working...
                  X