Base Gasket Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Base Gasket Leak

I have a pretty bad oil leak from the lower part of my motor (450) and as far as I know its being caused by a faulty gasket. Do I need to buy a factory gasket? Or can I make one with cork material / rtv? If I can make one, what is the best way to go as far as gasket making materials?

Also is this an easy fix? The engine is already out of the frame.

Best to use OEM gaskets IMHO. The base one is cheap, the head gasket is more expensive - you'll need that one too because you have to remove the head to get at the base.

Of course that now opens a larger can-o-worms once you've removed the head & jugs:
    - might as well hone the clyinders & install new rings
    - new valve stem oil seals
    - rebuild the cam chain temsioner
    I've just finished all that on my "81 GS1100E.

Good luck & welcome to the forum...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Wow, that sounds like way more work than I was originally intending...

This whole build of mine is going to be on the cheap so maybe I can just get used to having a bit of a leak and park over some cardboard

Comment

Rae I'm with Hiker on this one can't make a head gasket so might as well get a kit from the dealer. If you ever do have to make one there's something on basscliff's site I think? Just make sure you're buying similar gasket material thickness.....yup good time to check it all while you're in there. Do a compression check before taking it apart. If it's up to snuff I might just change gaskets and valve seals.

Comment

Hi,

Where is it leaking? Head gasket? Base gasket? Oil pan gasket? Stator cover gasket? Clutch cover gasket? For the first two I would definitely use OEM. For the rest you can probably get away with making your own. There are instructions on my website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'll check after work today and try to figure out exactly where the leak is and maybe post a pic.

Comment

If it runs good and compression is good their is no reason why you can't reuse the rings, just make sure they aren't carboned up. Even taking them off Carefully to clean..

Comment

Working...
              X