X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my turn signal relay really bad?

82 GS650g
    -----------

Okay well this has been a problem on and off for a while now.

My turn signals(Lights) will flash On and Off properly, but after a couple flicks they just lock on and stay on. If I turn the signal Off and then turn it back On again, it usually does the same thing over again!

Here's the weird part, if the turn signal is locked like I just described above, and if I take my finger and physically TAP the Turn Signal Relay, it makes a "Click" noise and Flashes the turn signal Once, then it locks again!
    If I tap the relay about 1 or 2 seconds later, the turn signal flashes again, along with the Click noise!
    (so basically it's like the relay is stuck, and I have to tap it to get the Signals to flash, but they only flash once and get stuck again.)

If I turn my handle bars pretty fast, this usually ALSO makes the relay kick back on......but it typically only works for one Blinker Flash, then freezes again too!
    -------------

But I checked and cleaned the entire wire harness.
    Didn't find anything suspicious to do with the turn signal wires.

I also took out the Turn Signal Relay and took it apart and cleaned it, it really WASNT dirty at all.....but I cleaned the connectors and everything anyways just to be safe.
    ----------

Is my relay bad?

I went to the local suzuki shop, and they want $50 for that stupid little relay box unit!

Should I just buy a new relay, or is there a way to fix my old one?

Or maybe did I miss something on my wiring harness?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM.

Hi,

Are all of your bulbs stock values? 12 volt, 23 watt? Stanely 1073?

These relays go bad sometimes. I replaced mine with a cheap of-the-shelf part. See the guide on my website. You can also use a really cheap 2-prong blinker relay that plugs right into the existing socket. Note that either of these suggestions will disable any "auto-canceling" feature of your blinkers.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

Are all of your bulbs stock values? 12 volt, 23 watt? Stanely 1073?

These relays go bad sometimes. I replaced mine with a cheap of-the-shelf part. See the guide on my website. You can also use a really cheap 2-prong blinker relay that plugs right into the existing socket. Note that either of these suggestions will disable any "auto-canceling" feature of your blinkers.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I've never checked the bulbs, because the previous owners sort of neglected this thing and didn't really update anything.
      (and the bulbs worked, so i figured it was okay....but you could have a good idea, because I know if I yank out one of the Blinker "push-in style" connectors, that causes the lights to freeze up......so maybe one of my bulbs is just barely on the verge of loose, and its locking my turn signal up!)

I just swapped out headlight bulbs, and WOW what a difference....compared to the old burnt piece of crap that was in there!

I'll check into that blinker write-up you have, thanks.

Our bikes have auto-canceling features?
      I just push my blinker switch and it stays there until I flip it back.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
        Our bikes have auto-canceling features?
        I just push my blinker switch and it stays there until I flip it back.
        I don't think the 650 was ever "blessed" with that feature.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Neither of my two Katana's have auto-cancel, or even push-to-cancel, for that matter.

Comment

replace the relay with any old one from the auto parts store. however, if you store the bike outdoors, look for something waterproof or plan on replacing it every year.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
            X