Fork Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Seals

Im preparing to do the fork seals on my 83 GS 1100 E A.K.A. (MR. ED) The suzuki seals are about $30, moneys tight right now so i'm wondering if anyone has used aftermarket seals without any problems? if so which ones are good and which ones should i stay away from? Also does the antidive system have to be taken off the forks to get the forks apart or do you just unhook the brakeline? The springs seem weak ,i will measure them when i get them out ,but im wondering if they are spent do i have to replace or can i put spacer in to make them stiffer (yes im cheap) Thanks ahead for info.

I've used Leak Proof Pro Moly seals many times with excellent results. You just have to read the directions and make sure you install them with your fingers -- if you pound them in like regular seals, they'll leak.

As far as the springs, the low-buck ghetto way is to cut three or four inches off the springs to get a higher spring rate, then install longer spacers made from PVC tubing or whatever you have laying around.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
    X