Drive Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Chains

I'm looking for a new Drive Chain for my 2005 GS500F. The size is a DID520VM,110LE)(s) as far as fitting, is the 520 number all I have to worry about. And the 110LE is the number of links ? Whats this (s) for at the end ? I don't want to replace it with a stock one. Its continuous and I don't want to take the swing arm off.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

DID is a brand name. You have 110 links in your 520 chain. You have lots of brands to choose from. If you slide the rear wheel forward you can slip the chain off the countershaft sprocket and then the rear sprocket. Then remove the rear wheel and anything else in the way (i.e. chain guard) and slip it off the back. If a brace on the swingarm is in the way, you may have to cut a link to remove it.
    BTW, most prefer to replace the chain and sprockets as a set, but that is your call.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
      DID is a brand name. You have 110 links in your 520 chain. You have lots of brands to choose from. If you slide the rear wheel forward you can slip the chain off the countershaft sprocket and then the rear sprocket. Then remove the rear wheel and anything else in the way (i.e. chain guard) and slip it off the back. If a brace on the swingarm is in the way, you may have to cut a link to remove it.
      BTW, most prefer to replace the chain and sprockets as a set, but that is your call.
      Thank You, that helped.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Not a bad idea to take the swingarm off, the bearings haven't been greased in thirty years anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

5 years 2005 GS500F

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Not a bad idea to take the swingarm off, the bearings haven't been greased in thirty years anyway.
          I bought the 1980 GS1000 all in pieces. I put in all new bearings and grease. This is the 500 that needs the chain. The sprockets still look good.
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

The GS500 front sprocket is held on with a circlip -- it's a very good idea to replace this any time you remove it.

Also, if you don't replace the sprockets along with the chain, you'll be wondering next why your new chain wore out so fast. Unless they're really new, like you put them on last week, the sprockets are worn to the old chain and will quickly chew up the new chain.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

bwringer, I agree. In the old days, when a chain only lasted 6-8k miles, it was not so much of an issue. But my current O-ring chain has +12k miles and is barely showing signs of wear. Installing new sprockets at the same time is much more important when you are talking this span of lifetime. And the price differential is not that large when you amortize it over the long life of a well-maintained O-ring chain.

Comment

Working...
              X