Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS 750 Seat Compatibility (and a question about pegs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS 750 Seat Compatibility (and a question about pegs)

So I lowsided through a turn, and the berm right after the ditch did a number on my seat pan. Pretty sure I can't salvage it. So I've been looking on ebay and craigslist for a seat for a 750 but can't find one at a reasonable cost. Does anyone know of a seat from a different year/model that is compatible with minimal alteration? I've seen a few guys on craigslist selling project bikes, but they don't seem to want to part them out.

Another question I have is about footpegs. The riders pegs on my 78 are solid. I'm pretty sure I lowsided because I caught my right peg which took some of the weight off my rear wheel (another reason is cause I was going too fast). Would the pegs off a newer model work? I see some on ebay for an 81 750e, but I'm not sure on the bolt spacing.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Mr. TiberiusM,

I am so sorry to hear of your "unplanned get-off". I take it you're doing OK since you can type.

I can't offer much help other than to cross-reference the part numbers for the seat pan to see what other models are compatible. CLICK HERE. It sounds like you have some fabrication skills so that you can even get something that is close enough to work. That's good.

I know places like J.C. Whitney and Dennis Kirk sell aftermarket pegs and rear sets, but you're probably looking for a more cost-effective solution. Check in the Parts for Sale and post in the Parts Wanted sections. Somebody might have what you're looking for laying around in their garage.

Take care and ride safely.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I have heard the GS 550 seat fits the GS 750.
      I don't know if it is true.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Cross referencing doesn't turn up anything outside of the 750, so it looks like I won't find an exact match. I'll have to take some measurements and see if I can't work something out. I might poke around the appearance board and see what people have used on their cafe builds and such.

And I'm doing fine. Worst I had was some road rash on my knee, which is what I get for not wearing the proper gear. I'm more lucky I didn't get run over, as I slid through the oncoming lane. 10 seconds later and I'd have been squashed by a truck. I bounced off the same berm that removed or bent pieces on my bike without so much as a bruise. Lessons learned.

Comment

I bought a 79 550 seat from e-bay to fit my 78 750. fit was perfect and it looks better than a 750 seat IMHO

Comment

Early 850 will work too i believe, but ONLY the 79 i think... at least thats all ive ever tried.

Comment

I put a 550 seat on my '79 750--fit good--'79 850 seat won't fit on a '77-'79 750--I have all 3 bikes in my garage and the 850 does not interchange with the 750--Also, I have alot of '77-'79 750 parts--what do you need? My parts are cheap--I have a couple of sets of footpegs--let me know--Glad you're OK!

Comment

Originally posted by knowyourenemy66 View Post
                I put a 550 seat on my '79 750--fit good--'79 850 seat won't fit on a '77-'79 750--I have all 3 bikes in my garage and the 850 does not interchange with the 750--Also, I have alot of '77-'79 750 parts--what do you need? My parts are cheap--I have a couple of sets of footpegs--let me know--Glad you're OK!
                I pulled this seat from a 79 850... Fits fine? course its just a pan basicly..

Comment

Originally posted by knowyourenemy66 View Post
                  Things I need replacing are the mirrors, handlebars, rear tail cowling, brakelight/license plate mount. I bent up the mounting tab of my rear right turn signal, but I think I can straighten it out myself. Still looking for a seat, and I should probably just replace the pegs while I'm at it. The timing cover is a bit scratched up, but I'm not worried about it. Just adds character.

If you could let me know what you've got and what you want for it, that'd be great. I'd much rather throw money at someone from these forums than someone on ebay. Shipping is to 41091.

Comment

Working...
                  X