X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G R/R wire problem

Ha ha,
    Yet another R/R question.
    Recently been putting together my GS1000g, but it seems to be losing its charge. Have gone through the loom and put new connectors on.
    New battery, all earthed. Just wanted to get some help on the wiring towards the R/R end. As I am good with fabricating, but not with electrics.

From the R/R, where does the black wire mount to? It was going onto the fuse box left side. screw at the bottom of it.
    I have a voltmeter, How do i test the circuit to see if there is a drop?
    Should there be and earthing wires on the fuse box?
    What should i be looking for if there is a problem with the R/R or stator?
    When i turn my handlebars, the gear indicator lights up on 3, could this be causing anything?

Any help or pics of your GS1000G would really help me, as recharging my battery every few days is starting to wind me up!

I will also put up some pics of the battery box so you can see how its wired up.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2010, 06:12 PM.

You should find everything here

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Hi,

Do you have the stock r/r unit? Are there 5 wires?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi BC, yeah there are 4 wires and a seperate black. So 5 in total.
        Have put the R/R earth onto the neg battery terminal, as it was mounted on the left side of the fusebox and will take some readings when the battery is charged. Have been lookin at your site, loadsa great info on there. Meanwhile, there is wire coming out of the harness onto the Positive side of the fuse box, its red and white, any ideas if this is correct? here is a pic.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM.

Comment

The 1000G has a redundant wire loop going from stator up to light switch.

What I would do (actually I would get a new 2nd hand FET RR off of a ZX14 or similar) is run the red wire from the RR direct to battery through a blade fuse (30 Amp), you can also use the red wire that goes into the loom that exists already but a new line would be better.
          Run the black direct to Battery Neg or to a point on the frame with another from same point going to batt neg.

Connect the three stator wires (prob green white, blue white & yellow if it's stock direct to the other 3 RR wires in any order (they are all the same so colour doesn't matter).

Where are you from in London? I come from SE9 originally.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Cheers for that, yeah gonna get a new R/R, what year do you suggest for the zx14? Im living in west london, w10, but have lived south of the river, in dulwich, SE22.

Comment

Matchless has a thread with a big list giving you loads of options... Should beceasy to find. Search for rectifier and you'll find it.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
              X