stock tire size 85 gs 700e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock tire size 85 gs 700e

85 gs 700e currently has 120-80-16 on the front 130- 90 -17 rear are these stock sizes all the sites i have looked at have conflicting info also I have a 130-70-17 new that i would like to use on the back is this ok? thanks 70GT

Hi,

The stock tire sizes for the GS700 are 100/90/16 front and 120/90/17 for the rear. You'll probably be OK with a 130/90/17 rear, but that's as far as I would go.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I run a 130/90/17 on my 700es and it just fits in the swingarm. What I might do on my next tire is go with a lower aspect ratio, maybe a 75 or an 80 if they even make such a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
        I run a 130/90/17 on my 700es and it just fits in the swingarm. What I might do on my next tire is go with a lower aspect ratio, maybe a 75 or an 80 if they even make such a thing.
        I am running the same rear size with no problems but it is junk. I have on hand 1 dunlop arrowmax 130-70-17 in new condition I would like to use it since its a good tire do you think this would be okay thank you 70GT

Comment

Love my (CHEAP PRICE) but not cheap made Shinko's on my 85 GS700ES
          Running 130/90 or 80-17 on the rear (forgot aspect) and a 120/80-16 in the front and have had excellent resaults... Rain/Snow (yes snow) and whatever else NH shoots my way. Funny thing is where I bought them at the end of last year the Local (small shop) didn't have Shinko's in stock but did have them on his own bike(s) and was very happy with them. I visted them a few days ago and now he has a Complete line of them and can't keep them in stock and has had every customer that he put them on come in and say they were extremly happy with them so far.

Being in this lovely NH state and only having limited time (Seasonal) to ride I figure the price I paid (I think it was $115-120 Installed for both) you can't beat them.. JMO And yes I've had Dunlop's / Metzlers / Avon's / Contental's / Etc... As for the size on this bike 130/90-17 rear looks nice when you go to a lower 80 or 70 series you will be looking at a WHOLE lotta space, I've seen a 180 on the rear and I thought it looked kinda strange but again function and what you have could differ. Good luck with the tire choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkt-Rch View Post
            Love my (CHEAP PRICE) but not cheap made Shinko's on my 85 GS700ES
            Running 130/90 or 80-17 on the rear (forgot aspect) and a 120/80-16 in the front and have had excellent resaults... Rain/Snow (yes snow) and whatever else NH shoots my way. Funny thing is where I bought them at the end of last year the Local (small shop) didn't have Shinko's in stock but did have them on his own bike(s) and was very happy with them. I visted them a few days ago and now he has a Complete line of them and can't keep them in stock and has had every customer that he put them on come in and say they were extremly happy with them so far.

Being in this lovely NH state and only having limited time (Seasonal) to ride I figure the price I paid (I think it was $115-120 Installed for both) you can't beat them.. JMO And yes I've had Dunlop's / Metzlers / Avon's / Contental's / Etc... As for the size on this bike 130/90-17 rear looks nice when you go to a lower 80 or 70 series you will be looking at a WHOLE lotta space, I've seen a 180 on the rear and I thought it looked kinda strange but again function and what you have could differ. Good luck with the tire choices.
            It's not about the look, tires are all about function.

The GS wheels are narrow so you should not use low profile tires. 90 series tires are the proper tool for the job.

The front wheel is 2.15 x 16" so you can go to a 110 front but I'd stay clear of 120's since the sidewall will pinch in which is okay on the rear (to an extent) but I don't recommend that combination for the front wheel which controls the steering.

For the rear a 120 or 130/90 is best. Again, low profile tires pinch in the sidewalls more than a taller tire. Best to stick with tried and true.
            Last edited by Nessism; 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I understand it's not about the LOOKS !!!! And always function first, again the 120 up front is a perfect fit JMO and This has been from what I've read on this and other sites the MAX (safe) sizes to use. The shinko's fit a little better then my Metzler 120 that was on before.

Comment

Can you explain what you mean by "pinch"??

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                It's not about the look, tires are all about function.

The GS wheels are narrow so you should not use low profile tires. 90 series tires are the proper tool for the job.

The front wheel is 2.15 x 16" so you can go to a 110 front but I'd stay clear of 120's since the sidewall will pinch in which is okay on the rear (to an extent) but I don't recommend that combination for the front wheel which controls the steering.

For the rear a 120 or 130/90 is best. Again, low profile tires pinch in the sidewalls more than a taller tire. Best to stick with tried and true.
                Aspect ratio is the size of the sidewall. What do you mean by pinch please?

Comment

Originally posted by dueller View Post
                  Aspect ratio is the size of the sidewall. What do you mean by pinch please?
                  Hi Mr. dueller,

You really like resurrecting old threads, don't you?

If you put a wide tire on a skinny rim, the beads are closer together than they should be and tire will be more pointed in the middle of the tread instead of round. Hence the term "pinched". This allows less of a contact patch and causes the tire to "fall" into turns abruptly. This causes erratic, twitchy handling.

Introduce yourself in the 'GS Owners' section and I'll treat you to your very own "mega-welcome".

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Howdy, I have had a 130/80 on the back, considered a 70 but used an 80 since that was handy. you could probably try the 70 and see how it handles.
                    I have a 110/90 on the front I actually preferred the 110/80 for steering, surprised the 120 fits I find the 110 is close to the fender.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi Mr. dueller,

You really like resurrecting old threads, don't you?

If you put a wide tire on a skinny rim, the beads are closer together than they should be and tire will be more pointed in the middle of the tread instead of round. Hence the term "pinched". This allows less of a contact patch and causes the tire to "fall" into turns abruptly. This causes erratic, twitchy handling.
                      Yeah, researching older threads to learn about my bike and saw some room for some clarification. Brain fart! I read it as the other way around. Putting a skinnier tire on a wider rim. Ugh!

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Introduce yourself in the 'GS Owners' section and I'll treat you to your very own "mega-welcome".

Thanks, seen a few other threads with your mega-welcome but I'll announce myself there also! Sounds like a great forum! Big fa of forums. Learned a TON at a Dodge forum I haven't visited in a while when I bought my Ram 5 years ago.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by 70GT View Post
                        85 gs 700e currently has 120-80-16 on the front 130- 90 -17 rear are these stock sizes all the sites i have looked at have conflicting info also I have a 130-70-17 new that i would like to use on the back is this ok? thanks 70GT
                        I will add not OK.

I don't remember how long you've had the bike, but my recommendation is to get as close to the original width and aspect ratio as possible. You may find it handles a lot better with the stock sizes.

Wider tires don't improve handling or traction. Lower aspect tires are better suited to wider wheels
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Mine is yours if you want it for shipping. Perfect if you have grooves for rain. Only good til july then you need to replace but has been garaged for 2 years. Your call if I can make it happen.

Comment

Had a 120 on the front of mine years ago. It was awful.
                            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

The wider you go and then topping it off by lowering the aspect ratio the less contact patch you end up with. As others have pointed out you are pinching the sidewalls creating a triangular shaped tire. Less contact patch equals less traction for braking and accelerating. Especially bad in the wet.

Comment

Working...
                              X