Overcharged my battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcharged my battery?

So I think i overcharged my new battery today. I used a charger and not a tender that was pumping out 5-7 amps as opposed to 1-2, and it charged for about 6 hours.I read somewhere this is not good for a battery. The battery was warm and it was bubbling when i turned it off. Will this battery be dead or should i get the appropriate tender and try and charge it again with the correct equipment?

Warm and bubbly is ok. Just not hot and boiling.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

FWIW, here is a very thorough article about how to initialize and charge a motorcycle battery:

New Battery, LiFePO4,lithium and AGM/VRLA batteries, BMW, motorcycle, motorcycles, filling, charging,load,test,load-test,anti-sulfating

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Put it in the bike and ride it already.
        It's charged enough.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

theres the problem, it didnt work when i put it in, not lights at all

Comment

Get a multimeter and check the voltage on the battery.
            Check the fuses as to why you have no power.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X