Rear Brake wont release..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake wont release..

I'm having an issue with my rear brake..it wont release..I have to take off the inspection cover and manually push the brake pads back away from the rotor..not knowing a ton about Hyd brakes (deal with air at work) what causes this..I used OEM rebuild kit/parts and they worked fine but last couple days they have been binding up..any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated..Thanks.

DDM

It is possible the piston in your MC is binding.

What exactly did you rebuild?

Comment

Is the return port blocked?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Is the pedal free to move?

More than once, I have had to remove the pedal from the frame, clean and grease the pivot point and re-install.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pedal is free and I have freeplay. I rebuilt the MC and the Caliper both all new OEM seals. Return port...is that in the MC or the Caliper? and how would I test/check that? Thanks for the replies...

DDM

Comment

Its in the rear Master Cylinder. There SHOULD be two holes in the bore there, one is where the fluid is drawn out of the Resivour and the other is the return port. Often, this will get clogged (especially on a bike that has sat a long time) and when it does, the backpressure fluid has no where to go. So, it stays put, keeping your caliper locked up tight. I fought this for about 6 mos on my Cafe project, finally tossed the rear MC and got a new one. Couldnt ever get it clear.

Comment

I"ll check that tonite when I get home..it hasn't sat and I did rebuild the MC but I"ll pull it off tonite and check it/clean it..just weird it was fine..maybe it just had a little gunk left in it that broke loose..thanks for the replies..

DDM

Comment

Well after letting the MC soak overnite and using a .310 Jet Drill I got the return port clean...I could see it but it didnt go through so I knew then it was plugged..clean as a whistle now..after work tonite comes re-assembly..rotor is re-surfaced and all back on...hopefully rain will stop and be nice this week-end..3 days off and I wanna ride!
                Thanks to everyone who replied..the things I learn on this board are amazing..its something almost everyday I find out I didnt know.

DDM

Comment

Had a similar problem, ended up replacing the master cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                  X