Turn Signal Doesn't Blink!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Doesn't Blink!!!!

I just put some aftermarket turn signals on my 83 gs850. The rear ones went on and worked fine, but when I put the front ones on they stopped working properly. When I turn either signal on it just stays on and doesn't blink. Suggestions?

use hand signals?

Comment

I am guessing they are LED aftermarket turn signals?
      If so, the current draw is below the minimum threshold to cause the flasher unit to flash. You will need to go to your local auto parts store and buy an electronic flasher unit to solve this if indeed the new ones are LED based.
      If not, this may help.

Comment

Hi,

The stock turn signal relay blinker must see a pre-defined amount of load on the system, 4 of the Stanley 1073 bulbs (12v/23w) plus the dash indicators. If your new bulbs draw less wattage then you must change your turn signal flasher. You will probably lose the "auto-canceling" feature of the blinker system. The right, cheap 2-prong blinker from the auto parts store will work. You can take a look at my turn signal replacement guide for my solution. But yes, an electronic flasher unit will be necessary if you have gone away from the stock bulbs. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

thanks a ton BassCliff! I checked out your site. Very helpful!!! They are in fact just regular bulbs, but I will look into the blinker relay right now!

Comment

Originally posted by 100070192 View Post
            thanks a ton BassCliff! I checked out your site. Very helpful!!! They are in fact just regular bulbs, but I will look into the blinker relay right now!
            They might be "regular" bulbs, but be aware that there are some that look the same as the correct bulb, but are lower wattage, so they don't work the same.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you disconnected the old lights from the bullet plugs inside the headlight bucket, you may have plugged the new ones into the wrong sockets. The wire colors are kind of misleading as there is one double socket that only uses ONE plug of the same color wire, there is a seperate single bullet plugged wire of a different color that goes to the other plug. Hope I'm making some sort of sense but I'd have to look at the darn wiring to be more specific. There are past threads on this forum regarding this issue.

Comment

On a similar topic

I have a 1985 GS450L and when I ride the blinkers blink fine but when I stop they stop blinking and just stay on. If I give it more gas the lights will begin to flash. I have not taken the bulbs out yet to see the wattage but could there be another issue since they blink when I rev the engine higher? Is there something that I can replace that may fix the issue?
                Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2010, 07:12 PM.

Comment

So I went out and got an electric blinker relay. No luck. With the electric relay in, the turn signals don't work at all. At least with the old relay the signals light up.

These are the aftermarket guys I'm using.

Comment

Sadly I was unable to find a none electric relay that required a lower resistance light.

Comment

Originally posted by jkreylin View Post
                      I have a 1985 GS450L and when I ride the blinkers blink fine but when I stop they stop blinking and just stay on. If I give it more gas the lights will begin to flash. I have not taken the bulbs out yet to see the wattage but could there be another issue since they blink when I rev the engine higher? Is there something that I can replace that may fix the issue?

Hi,

Clean every electrical connection and ground on your wiring harness, including the fues box, the turn signal stalks, the ignition switch connections, all the molex and bullet connetors, etc. Then go through the Stator Papers and find out why your charging system is not putting out enough voltage at idle.

BassCliff
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM.

Comment

So I went out and got an electric blinker relay. No luck. With the electric relay in, the turn signals don't work at all. At least with the old relay the signals light up.

http://www.ridegear.com/detail.cfm?m...7&related=long

Hi,

I had to experiment a little with the wiring to get the proper connections on the new flasher relay. Read through my write-up and see if it gives you any ideas. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your idulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You need one of these : http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-Pin-Electronic-...08648727523823

I just finished a complete conversion over to LED's and all I had to do was add one ground and they blink no matter what.

However If you have a bike that only has one light on the instrument cluster than there is another thing you have to do.

Cut the wires going to the light, add another wire as a ground.

Each of the wires that went to the indicator light are from each side. So now each one is for each side.
                          All you have to do is use one wire to one light and the other wire to another light ( I used two led's) and then the ground to each light.

The reason for this is that when one side blinked so will the other side because the indicator light was allowing enough current to flow through to the other side.

jkreylin
                          I think you have a low voltage issue. Mine would do the same below 11.3v but above 12 it would blink. So check the usual charging system problems, (Battery, grounds, stator, R/R, connections) Reving the engine usually gives you just a little bit more power even with a half working charging system.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                            However If you have a bike that only has one light on the instrument cluster than there is another thing you have to do....
                            Excellent thought! Here is Mr. Steve's solution (I have a copy on my website):

If your gauge cluster has a single turn signal indicator bulb, here is some helpful information from Mr. Steve:

If you have a single [turn signal indicator] bulb in the instrument panel, it is fed by two hot wires from the turn signals. The indicator bulb acts as a current limiter and uses the turn signals on the other side as a ground wire. When the left turn signals are on, the indicator will also light, but won't pass enough current to light the right-side signals, so it uses them as a ground. Same thing for the other side.

If you want to use a single LED for your indicator, there is no problem, as long as you use a couple other LEDs to feed it.

Here is a diagram I did for somebody doing the same thing some time ago. It only shows the lights, not the wires that come from the controls, etc., but it shows the original setup with a standard bulb, then how to wire in two LEDs that will allow the use of a single LED in the instrument panel.

BassCliff

Comment

http://www.ridegear.com/detail.cfm?m...7&related=long
                              I recently put in aftermarket signals on the rear and had to switch to an electronic flasher. I did however have to install a ground wire to the 3-pin electronic flasher. It works great now, but it took a lot of head scratching to sort it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X