cant get started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant get started?

ok dont know if this is the right place but here it goes.
    i have a 81 gs 750 that was running after i go tthe carbs cleaned. i was riding from first to 2nd and the bike poped and stalled out on me. now i cant get it started back up. the starter when i hit it will do nothing now. and i tryed to pop start it in 2nd gear but could not get it going. there was no smoke but i did get a blow main fuse. any help would be great. also i can smell gas and i havae spark.

Hi Mr. blood89,

Welcome to the forum, sorry for your troubles. About all I can do right now is point you toward some troubleshooting procedures.

Testing The Ignition System

Ignitor/Signal Generator/Coil Test

Simplify The Wiring Diagram

How To Repair Your Wiring Harness

Cleaning Your Wiring Harness

If you are blowing fuses you must check your wiring harness for wires with worn insulation that may be shorting to the frame or each other. Look for melted connectors and wiring. Check and clean every connection and ground on the entire wiring harness. Visit my website for manuals and wiring diagrams.

I also stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I can tell you exactly what it is..I had the same issue...lights would come on but no starter and no ignition..pull your headlight out and there is a white square plug with 6 wires (in the headlight bucket). One is ignition and one is starter. play with the plug and you will probably get it to bump. If thats it, just wire in a new plug or direct wire the corresponding wires. mine ended up being a short in the plug. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

hey i direct wire the corresponding wires and still nothing. any more idea?

Comment

How did you verify you had spark?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

im going to recheck to see if i still have spark. whats the best way in checking?

Comment

Figure out why there isn't power to the starter, you're blowing the main and then you will probably have spark.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hello,

This probably will not be much help, but your electrical is working besides the starter correct? If not, I just had a fuse and the electical go out on mine while on the highway of all places, and it ended up being the rear brake light switch. I am no expert, but continue to check all possible "circuit ends" with a coltage tester, etc., that run through the main fuse, and I would think you should be able to narrow it down. Hope this helps.

Comment

ok i put this to the side for a few weeks but im back at it. i think my cdi is bad. i have no spark at all on any plug and my starter is turning when i jump the bike. but the button i hit to start the bike will not do anything. would a bad cdi do this. i can get a used one for 99 but dont want to spend the money if its not it.

Comment

Before spending money on a new ignitor, here is how to test it:

According to the service manual here is the Suzuki test method

Here is how to test your ignitor

Remove each spark plug of #3 and #4 cylinders, fit it
                    to the plug caps and place it on the cylinder head.

Remove the frame cover on the right side and disconnect the lead
                    wire from the signal generator.

Connect + lead of voltmeter (set on ohms) with blue lead
                    wire on the ignitor side and - lead on the voltmeter with the green
                    lead wire.
                    The moment the test pins are connected the spark plug of #4 sparks
                    and the moment the tester pins are disconnected the spark plug of
                    #3 cylinder sparks.

If you don't have one, get yourself a wiring diagram and a volt-ohmmeter.
                    Blowing fuses is not normal, you have a short somewhere.

Have you gone through your bike and cleaned ALL the connections?

Comment

I'll bet you scared him away with your accurate info... I think he needs a mentor...
                      Curt
                      sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Working...
                      X