How far to go with relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far to go with relays

On this year's agenda will be a coil relay mod. But what other relays SHOULD one consider? Ignition switch, headlight, ect. Comments?

If you do a search, you should be able to find instructions on how to do horn, headlight , coils and maybe one other thing. I have it printed out at home so let me know and I'll let you know how to find it. terrylee

Comment

I think terrylee covered it, headlight, coils and horn are the basics. The ignition switch is not one that needs a relay. Basically, you want to be seen, heard, and run well.

Comment

Due to the plethora of farkles on my wife's bike, I added an AUX power strip that is powered by a relay.

That power strip provides stable, reliable power for:
        LED driving lights
        GPS
        XM radio
        CB radio
        tail light
        LED light strips
        sense wire for R/R

It also provides a ground location for those devices.
        (not everything is connected in this picture)

One other use for a relay is not to power something, but to cut the power.

I use a relay with an 87a terminal to power the headlight. The trigger for the relay is connected to the yellow/green wire on the starter solenoid.
        When the starter button is pushed, power is removed from the headlight.

That relay and the one that powers the terminal strip are on the left side of the bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I like the headlight cut out idea. Very mod.

Comment

Dang, Steve. You mean you don't have a relay for the television or the garage door remote control?
            I do like the headlight/starter idea. It really irritates me that it stays on while the starter is trying to do its job.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              Dang, Steve. You mean you don't have a relay for the television or the garage door remote control?
              I do like the headlight/starter idea. It really irritates me that it stays on while the starter is trying to do its job.
              No television installed (yet), and the button for the garage remote does not need a relay.
              Of course, that's on the Wing.

On the wife's bike, the garage remote is a key fob, so it's not attached to the bike.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X