Clutch Draging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Draging?

I installed new factory stock fibre clutch plates today. Now the clutch seems to drag.When in gear with the clutch lever fully pulled in it attempts to move if revved up? I believe I have the cable set correctly. Any clues?
    Thanks in advance

I meant to say it is on a 1985 GS1150 with v&h welded basket.

Comment

What oil are you using? Any heavier than the 10-40w could cause a drag. Does it go away when the oil gets hot & thins out a bit?

You didn't put an extra plate in by mistake did you?

Other than that it can only be adjustment....

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm using Castrol GT 10-40. It does not stop when the oil is warm. No extra plate. However, since writing my question, I discovered that on the clutch pull shaft there is supposed to be a bearing as well as a washer on the inside. There was no bearing when I disassembled and re-assembled. Could this cause the pressure plate to not fully dis-engage?

Comment

Did you soak the new fiber plates in oil overnight like you are supposed to? Also, is the clutch adjusted CORRECTLY? Ray.

Comment

Hi Ray,

Yes I soaked them actually for several days in the same oil that I used in the bike. As to Correctly Adjusted, to my somewhat limited knowlege of Suzuki clutches I believe so. Any hints or tips to verify that will be well received.
            Thanks,
            Greg

Comment

How much play is in the clutch lever at the handlebar? It should be able to have at least 1/4 inch play before moving the arm on the cover. It's good you soaked the plates. After you get it adjusted, go somewhere safe, with ALL your gear on & NO cops. Stop the bike & with it in first gear bring the engine up to 6000 rpm & let the clutch fly. As soon as you let it go pull it back in. You don't want the bike to get away from you & I don't know the level of your skills. I usually do this 3-5 times on a brand new clutch to help get everything seated in. Believe me, it helps! You will probably have to re-adjust the clutch after this. It's a LOT of fun if you've never done it before! Let us know how it goes. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
                I'm using Castrol GT 10-40. It does not stop when the oil is warm. No extra plate. However, since writing my question, I discovered that on the clutch pull shaft there is supposed to be a bearing as well as a washer on the inside. There was no bearing when I disassembled and re-assembled. Could this cause the pressure plate to not fully dis-engage?
                thats your throw out bearing...
                better be finding one plus the pressure plate shim it rides against.
                Last edited by blowerbike; 04-29-2010, 11:08 PM. Reason: sp e ll in g e rr o r

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                  How much play is in the clutch lever at the handlebar? It should be able to have at least 1/4 inch play before moving the arm on the cover. It's good you soaked the plates. After you get it adjusted, go somewhere safe, with ALL your gear on & NO cops. Stop the bike & with it in first gear bring the engine up to 6000 rpm & let the clutch fly. As soon as you let it go pull it back in. You don't want the bike to get away from you & I don't know the level of your skills. I usually do this 3-5 times on a brand new clutch to help get everything seated in. Believe me, it helps! You will probably have to re-adjust the clutch after this. It's a LOT of fun if you've never done it before! Let us know how it goes. Ray.
                  Oh man, really? This makes me wish I had my clutch basket back that much more. That DOES sound like fun!

Comment

Working...
                  X