turn signal cancellation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal cancellation

i noticed today that my turn signals were not cancelling themselves as they normally do on my 1981 GS850G. Just had new front tire installed and front mastercylinder rebuilt by independant shop. could they have disconnected something? I have had bike for couple of months and really love it, it runs very well and looks good also. I changed all fluids and replaced plugs and wires myseld but did not mess with any electrics.

Check the speedo for the proper placement of the self-cancel unit there. Then check the connection at the plug for the self-cancel black box. The check the connection on the flasher unit.
    I have one more black box if yours is bad.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mine went south a couple of years ago. How much shipped to 46236? It is a 1100E, but I can't see them being different, unless you know better.

Comment

RE:Chef1366

Where is the self cancel box? Where is the plug? I thought the box was on the handlebars. Is there somewhere else I should look. I apologize but I know little about electrics/circuits. Thanks for your replies.

Comment

Not sure where the componets are on the 850. The flasher relay is a square black box with three prongs and I've seen them under the tank.
          The self cancel control box is a square box with two plugs coming out of it. Usually by the R/R.
          The speedo sensor is in the speedo. You have to take the two 8mm acorn nuts off the back, then the chrome piece and it's under there. It's a rectangular piece that snaps into the top of the speedo.
          Besides the left handlebar switch these are the main components of the self-cancel signals.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Neal View Post
            Where is the self cancel box? Where is the plug? I thought the box was on the handlebars. Is there somewhere else I should look. I apologize but I know little about electrics/circuits. Thanks for your replies.
            The flasher relay/self cancel control box is a black box under the right side cover, has three wires going in, only two actually work the signals. As chef said, "The speedo sensor is in the speedo. You have to take the two 8mm acorn nuts off the back, then the chrome piece and it's under there. It's a rectangular piece that snaps into the top of the speedo."
            If you don't really need the self cancel feature, you can live without it. Mine hasn't worked for a long time, my right hand switch went south and I replaced it with one from a '78 'wing.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Dave Neal,

When my flasher went out, I didn't want to spend $40 for a new stock unit. The turn signal controller is even more expensive if you buy OEM. CLICK HERE for my solution, but it disables the "auto-cancel" feature. Mr. chef1366 is one of "the good guys" around here. He'll fix you up.

Anyway, I'm glad you found us. I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2010, 02:07 PM.

Comment

you may also want to check behind the headlight for a loose bayonette conection

Comment

Now it works!!!!!

I put the battery tender on overnight, rode the next day and don't you know the darn thing worked. Must be something to do with battery being fully charged. Stator putting out about 12-13 per my mechanic who checked output while changing tire, he said that was pretty good for a bike this old. Thanks for the reply's, I am learning a lot reading these forums. Love that old bike!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi,

If your charging system is only putting out 12 or 13 volts you have issues. Go through the stator papers and fix it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X