intermittent electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intermittent electrical problem

Help! I have a 1982/83 GS1100G with an intermittent electrical problem that has me baffled. I every once in a while when I hit the start button, I hear the solenoid click and everything (dash lights) goes out. I have discovered that if I loosen the hot side battery terminal and resnug it the power is somehow reset. Usually the same thing will happen if I hit the start button again. but if loosen the battery terminal until I have power and I jump across the starter solenoid it will start right up and run fine until the next episode, anywhere from 1 to 30 starts later. I also put a volt meter accross the battery and when the power goes out the battery voltage drops from 13v to about 5mv. I have replaced the RR and run the ground directly to the battery, tested the stator (approx 70 v ac from all three legs), The charging system appears to be working fine. I can't imagine what would draw that much voltage from the battery and not smoke.

Originally posted by philmilano View Post
    I also put a volt meter accross the battery and when the power goes out the battery voltage drops from 13v to about 5mv.
    I'm not sure this is even without creating an arch welder.

Are you stabbing the battery post centers?

I'm guessing you are measuring the battery voltage through a connector that is going open and therefore you are see the small voltage.

Comment

i am clipping onto the terminals with alligator clips. connection is good. when power is reset voltage comes right back to 12.7 v or so.

Comment

i am clipping onto the terminals with alligator clips. connection is good. when power is reset voltage comes right back to 12.7 v or so.
        Well apparently not if your bike is blacking out

Comment

how about a bad connection between the post and the plates inside the battery?

do you have a spare battery you can try? or try jumper cables to an external battery when it happens.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I am also starting to wonder about the battery. How else would it be able to reset by loosening the terminal. But the battery seems to charge fine and hold the charge. I don't have a spare battery. I may try taking out the battery and try wiggling the terminals while hooked to my multimeter.

Comment

I don't have a spare battery.
              Jumper cables and a non running vehicle when it goes to fits...

Comment

i will try that, thanks

Comment

If it is a wet-cell battery, make sure the cells are wet.

It's possible that the battery might be toast. How old is it?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It is a wet cell, it is filled within limits, less than one year old. broken post is the only thing that makes sense, I will test the battery the next time it quits.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. philmilano,

Have you checked and cleaned that big ground cable between the negative battery terminal and the bottom of the engine? It's a good idea to check and clean every electrical connection and ground on the bike, from headlight bucket to tail light including the fuse box, blinker stalks, solenoid connections, ignition switch, etc. Your bike will love you for it.

I'm glad you found us. I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I tried the jumper cable method when the power went out and lo and behold when I hooked up a 12v power supply to the battery the lights came back immediatly. I am assuming that there is a weak/intermittent connection internally in the battery post. I replaced the battery with a new one and tho it is too soon to tell yet, so far I have not had any problems. I will re-post to let you know if it worked or not. Thanks for your replies.....awesome site.
                        Phil

Comment

It has been a week since I changed the battery and I have not had the problem reoccur. I have been working on motorcycles nearly 40 years and cars nearly 35, I have never seen a battery act like that one. Thanks for the help. I hope that this thread helps others.

Comment

It seems to be the issue with the battery designs over the last 5 or so (???) years. unlike the lead acid batteries of old that had thicker plates which would deteriorate over time, the later design batteries work fine, then just seem to up and quit open cell (no ampacity). work fine one day, then nadda...

they try to milk all all the power they can from so little a space.

no hard data, it's just what I've seen.
                            Last edited by rustybronco; 05-07-2010, 05:59 PM. Reason: further comments

Comment

Working...
                            X