Will Not Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Not Start

So I finally got the pieces of my 850 back together, battery hooked up and charged, fuel in the tank. Went to crank it and it turns over but that's it. I went through my clymer manual troubleshooting section.. stuck at the ignition part. I'm pretty sure the coils/wires are original (30 years old) so those are suspect, as are the plugs. Might be fuel, also. I'm really clueless here. Any suggestions?

Well, it needs gas, air and spark

So, do the plugs spark?

Are the plugs wet with gas?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did you prime the carbs?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        Well, it needs gas, air and spark

So, do the plugs spark?

Are the plugs wet with gas?
        Earth Fire and Wind?

or is it

Fuel, Air and Fire?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Did you prime the carbs?

Nope! I have not a clue how to do such a thing.

Also: I couldn't figure out the part where you're supposed to pull the plug out and see if it sparks. Was I supposed to do anything special?

Comment

Did you prime the carbs?
            Originally posted by Moki of Rancho View Post
            Unfortunately, you have the dreaded 1980 petcock. Most of us who have had one feel that whoever designed it should be strung up by some sensitive body parts.

To prime the carbs, turn the slot in the petcock so it is vertical ( | ). This petcock needs a bit of vacuum to turn the PRIme on, so bump the starter to crank the engine a couple of revolutions, then turn the key off and wait about a minute. Try starting the engine again. When it starts (or you give up for the day), be sure to turn the petcock horizontal ( -- ) to turn off the PRIme.

You should only have to do this once, when you are trying to fill the carbs after they have been drained. You should not have to do this every time you start the bike.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Qwik Fix

Also: I couldn't figure out the part where you're supposed to pull the plug out and see if it sparks. Was I supposed to do anything special?
              When I don't have a clue, I take it to those that have a clue and pay them.

Comment

Originally posted by sefu View Post
                When I don't have a clue, I take it to those that have a clue and pay them.
                I don't have a trailer for my bike so as to drag it to a shop, and unfortunately I am also the most mechanically inclined person in my immediate family.

Plugs are sparking, gonna start (RE: attempt) priming the carbs!

Comment

So it looks like I've got no fuel coming through the petcock. Dang thing is brand new... could this be a vacuum problem?

Comment

So it looks like I've got no fuel coming through the petcock. ...
                    You have a 1980 petcock. They work just a little differently. Go back and look at what I posted a bit ago:
                    Unfortunately, you have the dreaded 1980 petcock. Most of us who have had one feel that whoever designed it should be strung up by some sensitive body parts.

To prime the carbs, turn the slot in the petcock so it is vertical ( | ). This petcock needs a bit of vacuum to turn the PRIme on, so bump the starter to crank the engine a couple of revolutions, then turn the key off and wait about a minute. Try starting the engine again. When it starts (or you give up for the day), be sure to turn the petcock horizontal ( -- ) to turn off the PRIme.
                    You can test this by using a vacuum hose on the petcock instead of connecting it to the bike. Make sure the petcock is set to PRI, then suck on the vacuum hose, gas should flow. It will flow until you turn the petcock to RUN.

All other petocks beside the '80 models will flow in PRI without the vacuum. Why somebody changed that, we'll never know.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

You have a 1980 petcock. They work just a little differently. Go back and look at what I posted a bit ago:

You can test this by using a vacuum hose on the petcock instead of connecting it to the bike. Make sure the petcock is set to PRI, then suck on the vacuum hose, gas should flow. It will flow until you turn the petcock to RUN.

All other petocks beside the '80 models will flow in PRI without the vacuum. Why somebody changed that, we'll never know.

You know, this actually worked perfect once I put more fuel in the tank. Of course, then I had to tighten everything up when said fuel started to go everywhere. And yet, after so many failed starting attempts my battery is dead again. Guess I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X