Stator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Question

Hey guys, I'm a new GS owner and I found that the bike I purchased a few weeks ago has a faulty stator (as per the Stator Papers testing procedure.) I have been out of town all week and just out of curiosity, I went to check my battery and it's completely dead (this battery is about 2 weeks old.) Mind you, one week ago, I rode the bike about 180 miles, and the stator produced enough charge to keep the battery alive to start the bike the whole trip.

What I'm wondering is if the bad stator is creating a draw on the battery even when the ignition is not on. I'm not electrical guru, so go easy on me.

no.................

Comment

the stator....no draw.

However, you can have a draw on the battery when parked. My GS would run great, but if sat in the garage for a week or more, the battery would lose some charge. Enter in my battery charger from walmart. Plug in when bike not in use, and charger keeps battery topped up.

My other bike, no charger on it. Can sit for weeks and fire right up. But then a cold GS can be a mother to get started and cranking the engine does take a lot out of even a fresh battery.

I replaced my stator 2x. First time was with new stator (and did Reg/Rect too!) from Electrosport. Lasted 1 summer then bad stator again. Bought used one off parts bike, and no more charging problems.

Even after that, I'd anally check the battery while the bike was warming up to make sure at high enough RPMs I was seeing charging back at the battery.

IMO, it shouldn't 'drain' when just sitting. But mine does and I'm not electric savy enough to figure that out....

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. driverofLYN274,

Here's a little information overload for you.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you for the information, BassCliff.

After checking through some iffy-looking connections and replacing them with spade connectors, I realized a different problem: when charging my battery from the charger, it only gains a charge when the ignition is on (the gauge on the charger works.) However, when the ignition switch is off, it fails to hold any charge. This problem wasn't occurring last week.
          Has anyone else experienced this?
          Should I start a new thread about this separate issue and just let this one die? Sorry for being a noob.

In case I didn't make it clear before, my bike is a 1981 GS750L.

Thanks in advance,
          -Pat

Comment

What kind of readings did you get on the stator tests ??? A bad Regulator could cause a voltage draw not the stator? Are you hooking the charger direct to the battery ?

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              What kind of readings did you get on the stator tests ??? A bad Regulator could cause a voltage draw not the stator? Are you hooking the charger direct to the battery ?
              I have been charging directly to the battery terminals, but the situation is still the same.

Comment

Working...
              X