warm up time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warm up time

It seems to me that I spend a lot of time waiting to ride while the engine is warming up. On cool mornings I can wait several minutes before the bike will run. Is this normal? How long are any of you waiting to take off? I set the choke and usually open the petcock to PRI. What should I be doing differently?
    Bill

Originally posted by officerbill View Post
    It seems to me that I spend a lot of time waiting to ride while the engine is warming up. On cool mornings I can wait several minutes before the bike will run. Is this normal? How long are any of you waiting to take off? I set the choke and usually open the petcock to PRI. What should I be doing differently?
    Bill
    How long has it been since you have done a complete carb rebuild? How about the airbox? valves etc?

I had a GS1100 that was acting the same. Once I did all of the above it would start great and warm up quickly. But I didn't have to use prime. You shouldn't have to use prime unless your petcock is not working properly or it has been a long time since you have started it. Something is leaking down.

I noticed you have a lot of miles. Good deal.
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

On all of my Suzukis and my Wing, the procedure and the time is about the same:
      Set the "choke" to the sweet spot for that bike (usually just under half), turn the key ON, push the starter button.
      Adjust the idle speed to about 1500 with the "choke", put helmet on, ride off.
      About the time we are in second gear, "choke" is turned OFF.
      Overall time: less than a minute.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow. Something was seriously wrong with my bike before then. Not serious enough to damage anything on the tough girl, but serious enough to bother me. It was taking me 5-10 minutes to get the needle above the first graduation on the gauge. I've replaced every rubber carb boot on the bike, and am in the process of rebuilding and re-jetting my carbs. Can't wait to see the difference!

Comment

It takes my '79 850 no longer than 2 maybe 3 minutes to warm up and take off. At start up it pop's for about 20-30 secs. then once this stops i could take off with choke on 1/4 but i just want until it idles around 1k rpms with choke off then i take off. This is either first then in the morning after a day of riding or even if i have not run for days.

I have done the valve clearance checks, carbs dip, and ALL new o-rings 1 1/2 years ago.
          1979 GS850G
          2004 SV650N track bike
          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

This is just me, but like Steve, I give it about half choke, and it runs up to 2,800 rpm. After I put my helmet and gloves on, I pull the choke down to 2,000 rpm. Then I take off and run it about 1/2 mile, and take off the choke with a good straight road ahead of me. Less than 5 minutes altogether.

Comment

depends on the definition of 'warm'...

if you mean pipes are warmed up, its minutes choked or not. If you mean engine feeling warm to the touch, then I'm with the others. I get all my kit on, start the bike, put my helmet, gloves, glasses, etc. on...climb on, back out of the garage, putt down the driveway and by the time I'm at the stop sign at the end of the block, choke off, and away we go.

Comment

If your bike takes several minutes before it will run cleanly or won't bog down it sounds like the symptom you are describing is cold bloodness which is normally attributable to the pilot fuel & air screw setting. It would be amazing the screws are still in their original epa settings
                1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                  If your bike takes several minutes before it will run cleanly or won't bog down it sounds like the symptom you are describing is cold bloodness which is normally attributable to the pilot fuel & air screw setting. It would be amazing the screws are still in their original epa settings
                  You just reminded me that last fall I opened the pilots about a 1/4 turn. I wonder if I go backward a 1/2 turn will that be too restrictive?
                  Bill

Comment

You just reminded me that last fall I opened the pilots about a 1/4 turn. I wonder if I go backward a 1/2 turn will that be too restrictive?
                    Bill
                    ??? What screws are you talking about? Pilot air screw or fuel screw?

If the bike is stock (VM carbs on the '79) the fuel screw should be about 3/4 turn open and the air screw double that.

With your bike I'd try opening the fuel screw another 1/8 turn or so and see if that helps.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed,
                      You are right, of course you are, these are VM's. I opened the pilot air screws. So you are telling me to open them a little more and I should move out faster? This morning the bike warmed up just fine and took off ok then stalled several times before I got to the gas pump. This afternoon warm up was fine and so was the ride, except for the cagers that believe the speed limit is the law and not just a suggestion.
                      Bill

Comment

... except for the cagers that believe the speed limit is the law and not just a suggestion.
                        Bill
                        I like this. His name is officerbill, and he thinks the speed limit is just a suggestion.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Set the pilot air screws to factory recommend then unscrew the pilot fuel screws in increments until you get a decent idle and warm up. Even after all that, the 79s were cold blooded bastards. I even went so far at one point to drill out pilot jets to help.

Comment

In Fla, the cagers believe the speed limit is just a suggestion and lane lines are a rough quide.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              I like this. His name is officerbill, and he thinks the speed limit is just a suggestion.

Yeah Steve, all of the signs on along the road are suggestions, unless one of my brothers-in-blue is near by.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X