cross-threaded a spark plug hole!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cross-threaded a spark plug hole!!

I can't seem to catch a break with this bike. So, what have you guys done for this? Redrill and helicoil? I'd hate to have to remove the head!! grrrrrr!
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
    I can't seem to catch a break with this bike. So, what have you guys done for this? Redrill and helicoil? I'd hate to have to remove the head!! grrrrrr!
    DO NOT use a helicoil on it, unless you want to replace the helicoil every time you change or check your plugs.

Get a "TimeSert" set for your spark plug size (can usually find them at AutoZone or any other autoparts store) A TimeSert is pretty much permenant. Follow the directions on the package, use grease or something of the like on the tools as you clean the hole and rethread to catch as many of the shavings as possible. BWringer had a good thread on doing this.

Comment

If it's not too bad you may be able to run a thread chaser to clean up what is left

Comment

So, I can do this "timesert" without removing the head?

Threadchaser? Do you mean a tap?
        Current Bikes:

Comment

You guys are the best! I went to AutoZone and found an insert kit like described. Cost me nearly $30, but worth it to save my butt. I also bought a chaser, but all it did was make the hole too loose. So, I installed the insert and it worked like a charm. The grease idea on the tap is a very good idea indeed. Once again, expert advice saves the day. Big relief for me. Thanks again!!
          Current Bikes:

Comment

If it's any consolation, I'm learning a lot reading the answers to your posts.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              If it's any consolation, I'm learning a lot reading the answers to your posts.
              Yeah, me too. Glad to hear my headaches are helping others.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

Glad you got the bike fixed. Happy ending to one of those gut churning wrenching moments.

FYI, those auto parts store spark plug inserts are not timeserts. Timesert is a brand name and they have an added feature over those cheaper inserts in that they they expand into the hole and lock positively in place. Downside to Timesert is price - over $100 for a sparkplug kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIME-...item414d8e9ffa
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Glad you got the bike fixed. Happy ending to one of those gut churning wrenching moments.

FYI, those auto parts store spark plug inserts are not timeserts. Timesert is a brand name and they have an added feature over those cheaper inserts in that they they expand into the hole and lock positively in place. Downside to Timesert is price - over $100 for a sparkplug kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIME-...item414d8e9ffa
                  Hey Ed, I have actually bought TIMESERT brand inserts at autozone. They werent $100 bucks, but they also didnt come with all the tools your link shows. It was just the threads, a chaser and then an expander. But it does expand into the alu, and if you use RTV (which they say you dont HAVE to use IIRC) and expand properly, it should be permanent. Used one on my step dads Lumina when it blasted a spark plug out of the aluminum head, and have used it on a bike head or two... Fortunately, Ive been lucky enough to NOT cross thread a plug myself yet Spin the plug backwards a couple turns next time before you start in. It will sit the plug in the threads..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Spin the plug backwards a couple turns next time before you start in. It will sit the plug in the threads..
                    Yep. It also should go down all the way to the last quarter turn with just your fingers. If it doesn't, pull it out and clean up the threads.

I just made this mistake on a JCB hose. Put a wrench on it too soon, I thought a couple turns would be OK and it wasn't. Thing is back together, but that is the last time this connection will last. Next time, I'll have to bypass it.

Everything should go together with fingers only. If it doesn't, something's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Hey Ed, I have actually bought TIMESERT brand inserts at autozone. They werent $100 bucks, but they also didnt come with all the tools your link shows. It was just the threads, a chaser and then an expander. But it does expand into the alu, and if you use RTV (which they say you dont HAVE to use IIRC) and expand properly, it should be permanent. Used one on my step dads Lumina when it blasted a spark plug out of the aluminum head, and have used it on a bike head or two... Fortunately, Ive been lucky enough to NOT cross thread a plug myself yet Spin the plug backwards a couple turns next time before you start in. It will sit the plug in the threads..
                      Don't mean to go against you Josh but Time-Sert's usually come with the extra bits which is why they are so expensive. Maybe they came out with a dumbed-down kit they don't show on their website?

My local Auto-Zone and Kragen sell solid insert spark plug repair kits for about $30 - sold under the "OEM" brand name and "Helicoil" sells a kit as well. The inserts on these have serrations on the top to help them lock into place. The real Time-Sert's have an expander tool and a counterbore tool so the insert does not stick up. Very nice stuff, but expensive. http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

Last edited by Nessism; 05-02-2010, 11:29 AM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I bought the "OEM" brand, and used high temp RTV with it. And the kit came with an expander tool. I should have pulled the plug back out after installing it though, because when I went to take the plug back out today after warming up the bike to do a compression check, the dang insert came back out with the plug. Apparently, the RTV got the insert stuck to the plug. Oh well, a minor problem really. The good news is, I'm getting about 130 psi across the board on my compression check, so I guess I can rule out rings and valves for number 4 cylinder not firing. I'm getting good spark too, so if it doesn't kick in after running seafoam through it for a couple days, the carbs will come back off I guess.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

I bought the "OEM" brand, and used high temp RTV with it. And the kit came with an expander tool. I should have pulled the plug back out after installing it though, because when I went to take the plug back out today after warming up the bike to do a compression check, the dang insert came back out with the plug. Apparently, the RTV got the insert stuck to the plug. Oh well, a minor problem really. The good news is, I'm getting about 130 psi across the board on my compression check, so I guess I can rule out rings and valves for number 4 cylinder not firing. I'm getting good spark too, so if it doesn't kick in after running seafoam through it for a couple days, the carbs will come back off I guess.
                          I'm having trouble myself on my 750 resto. Had it running fairly well and after a couple days of sitting it's only Luke warm on two cylinders. I think I picked up some varnish out of the tank even though I thought i got it all out.

Comment

Just chiming in to report what Pearson (the crank-builder) told me about Helicoils. He put one in my 850's head last year. I asked about timeserts, but he poo-poo'd the idea. Apparently, a properly installed helicoil won't back out. "Properly installed" involved swaging the top of insert to make it bite into the parent material. I can report no problems removing the plug so far (I just ran out to the garage to try it).
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              Just chiming in to report what Pearson (the crank-builder) told me about Helicoils. He put one in my 850's head last year. I asked about timeserts, but he poo-poo'd the idea. Apparently, a properly installed helicoil won't back out. "Properly installed" involved swaging the top of insert to make it bite into the parent material. I can report no problems removing the plug so far (I just ran out to the garage to try it).
                              You also had your head off, and had it done by a professional.

Comment

Working...
                              X