Back on track with the Kat project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back on track with the Kat project!

I am pleased to announce that after giving myself a good talking to, I am back on track with the Kat project.

After doing some house chores this morning, I waltzed out to the "cave " and got stuck in. I still need to clearcoat the body panels but as it was a tich humid today, I put that off in favour of a few mechanical jobs.

I needed to fix a chain guard to the swingarm and that went on easily. Next I decided to tackle the carb synch and things started looking dodgy from the get go. I haven't started the bike in over a month and it was reluctant to go. When it did start running I noticed gas ****ing out of 2 and 3. WTF? It hadn't ever done that before. I figured it might be stuck float valve needles so I took a long shafted srew driver and my small mallet and started rapping on the carbs. After fiddly farting for about 15 minutes it stopped. Good because I don't feel like diving into them again.

Got out the Carbtune and started to remove the vacuum port blank off screws. Forgot that they were hot and dropped the first one when it burned my fingers. The others came out without any drama but they are awkward to grab. The plastic barbs are also a biotch to get in so I think I need to invest in some brass ones. I have the cap screws that fit so I just need to round up some tube, drill out the screws and epoxy them in place. another job I don't really need.

Well once everything was in place I fire up and find 1 and 4 are pulling way more than 2 and 3 but 2 and 3 are pulling identically. That's good news. I dial 1 back down to match 2 and then 4 back down to match 3 and I'm done. All now pulling together give or take a "chin hair".

That was almost too easy and I spent more time getting the screws and barbs in and out.

Well I've got another day tomorrow and all I have left is fitting turn signals and then the body to finish painting. I think I can see a t est run coming next week.

I guess that's not too bad as I'm now only a day behind where I planned on being.

I'll keep you informed of how the next few days go. Pics will come as soon as I roll her out for the "test".

Cheers all,
    Spyug

Well good for you....sometimes you just need a break...

Originally posted by spyug View Post
    The plastic barbs are also a biotch to get in so I think I need to invest in some brass ones. I have the cap screws that fit so I just need to round up some tube, drill out the screws and epoxy them in place. another job I don't really need.
    Z1 sells a set of brass fittings for their Motion Pro unit...
    Under $10 USD and well worth it...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
    X