GS1100E clutch basket end play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E clutch basket end play

The clutch basket on my 82 GS1100EZ has some noticable end play. Is it possible to adjust the clutch basket end play with a thicker thrust washer? Do they make such a thing?

Originally posted by davel View Post
    The clutch basket on my 82 GS1100EZ has some noticable end play. Is it possible to adjust the clutch basket end play with a thicker thrust washer? Do they make such a thing?
    Check out the 1983 Kanta 1100 manual; it lists the method to measure it and the part numbers for the shims

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    Last edited by posplayr; 05-01-2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

is it broken?
      there is supposed to be movement.
      i would not experiment.
      83 kat is the same as an 83 E model.
      83 has a narrower bearing spacer and a shim added to make up the difference.
      80-82 is not like the 83E and the 1150 in this area.

Comment

Thanks guys!

No it's not broken but the basket has some noticeable play if I grab and "wobble" it. Needle bearing assembly, spacer and thrust washers are in good shape and all assembled properly. If there's no way to adjust it I'll leave it alone. Might be nice to have a spec on the thrust washer thickness for reference.

btw, thanks for posting the 83 diagram. I knew Suz made a change on the 83 model and it involved a shim but wasn't sure of the layout. Is it possible to use the 83 narrow spacer w/shim setup in an 82?
        Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2010, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys!

No it's not broken but the basket has some noticeable play if I grab and "wobble" it. Needle bearing assembly, spacer and thrust washers are in good shape and all assembled properly. If there's no way to adjust it I'll leave it alone. Might be nice to have a spec on the thrust washer thickness for reference.

btw, thanks for posting the 83 diagram. I knew Suz made a change on the 83 model and it involved a shim but wasn't sure of the layout. Is it possible to use the 83 narrow spacer w/shim setup in an 82?
          yes you can but it will do nothing???
          they thinned the bearing spacer and then added a shim to make it the same.
          if you measure an 80-82 bearing spacer and then measure the 83 bearing and shim...its the same as the 82 bearing spacers.
          the thrust washer turns with the entire assembly.
          they may get dirt marks in them but they do not wear.
          yes the basket assembly will wobble a little bit but no worries.

Comment

Actually, there are 4 different thickness shims from Suzuki & I have even found a source for even more thicknesses of shims to get my clutch hubs into the specified ranges. This is more critical (to ME anyway!) on drag bikes than street bikes. I differ with Terry on this one but that's just MY feeling on it. It isn't a do or die on a street bike unless it is just WAAAYYY loose but then chances are you have it assembled wrong anyway. Ray.

Comment

ray don't make me get my digital calipers out
              i have a box of thrust washers that i may measure after while and see what range i come up with.

Comment

Thanks guys!

specs and part numbers were listed in that link

Comment

Yeah, Thanks for posting. Very helpful. The spec was 0.001" - 0.003" thrust clearence. I suspect mine is more than that just by feel but will verify. If it's way off that spec I'll switch to the 83 narrow bearing spacer w/shim.

I have some useful but unrelated clutch info that I'll post in another thread.

Comment

If you need thinner shims than available from Suzuki to get the play correct (as I have) let me know & I can get you a package of them. They run I think about 20 bucks for a package of about 20 shims that go from about .002-.125 in thickness if I remember correctly. In the cases where I have needed them, it's been because I've needed THINNER than the available Suzuki shims. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray, I'll measure and let you know. Have you ever tried surface grinding one side of the 82 spacer to reduce the thrust clearence?
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

No, I just find a source for the correct parts so I can have them in case of future needs. Let me know if I need to send you a pack of them or maybe even just the correct thickness you need. Ray.

Comment

Awesome. Will be in touch. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            Let me know if I need to send you a pack of them or maybe even just the correct thickness you need. Ray.

Finally got around to measuring the bearing spacer and thrust clearance.

Spacer width = 28.1mm
                            Thrust clearance = 0.38mm

I removed 0.3mm from the spacer on a lathe to bring the clearance within spec. Basket runs much truer now. Engine vibration and noise both noticeably reduced.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                            X